- ABOUT VUSM
- STUDENT LIFE
Vanderbilt School of Medicine participates in the American Medical College Application Service. All application materials may be obtained through AMCAS. If you are applying to Vanderbilt University School of Medicine for the 2012 First Year Class, these instructions should be followed to speed the admissions process.
- To apply to VUMS, all required coursework should be completed by the end of the Fall semester, 2011. We take no AP credit, pass/fail credit or CLEP credit for any required coursework. We will accept higher level coursework with a grade.
- Complete and submit the 2012 online AMCAS application.
- Applications are reviewed in two stages. First, a group of specially trained screeners who reflect broadly the constitution of the faculty review the material provided from AMCAS. Each application receives three independent evaluations, employing a holistic review of the competitive strength of the applicant's credentials including academic accomplishment, motivation, personal qualities, leadership skills and educational background. Next, the most competitive applicants are offered an opportunity to send a secondary Vanderbilt-specific application and to come to campus for a personal interview. Approximately one-quarter of the applicants will be offered the secondary application/interview opportunity of which about 250 will be offered admission for 104 positions.
- Interviews will be offered after the 2012 AMCAS application has been screened. The Vanderbilt online secondary application is to be completed only by those applicants to whom Vanderbilt has granted an interview. You will receive an invitation by mail inviting you to complete the Vanderbilt online secondary application only if you are selected to interview. You may schedule your interview after you have submitted your secondary application.
- Letters of recommendation, which you will submit with your primary AMCAS application, are considered only for those applicants who receive an invitation to interview. A premedical committee letter of recommendation is required. In the absence of such a committee at your school, three recommendations are required, two from science professors plus one other of your own choosing. Letter packets are also accepted. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine will be receiving letters of recommendation through the AMCAS Letter Service only for the FYC 2012. Applicants are individually responsible for ensuring receipt by AMCAS, whether through Virtual Evals, Interfolio, Illinois Letters Online (LEO), AMCAS Letter Service, or hardcopies via mail. More information for applicants and advisors regarding sending letters to AMCAS from these sources is available under point #7 here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcaslettersfaq.htm. For hardcopy letters, the mailing address will appear on the AMCAS Letter Request form. Please designate Vanderbilt School of Medicine as one of the institutions assigned to receive your letters when you submit your primary AMCAS application.*
Note that failure to send to AMCAS will delay application.
- The application fee for the Vanderbilt secondary application will be waived if an applicant has a FAP (Fee Assistance Program). The fee can also be waived with support from a compelling letter from the applicant and/or a supporting letter from the premed advisor.
The secondary application fee for Vanderbilt University School of Medicine is $50. It is non-refundable and must be returned with the secondary application. The fee will be waived for applicants who have received an AMCAS fee waiver.