Job Opportunity: Asst Director of Graduate Career Development, Univ of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Assistant Director of Graduate Career Development (STEM)
The Graduate Career Development Team at the University of Chicago advises and counsels students, postdocs, and recent graduate alumni concerning their professional development, educational and career trajectory, and other related matters. Assistant Directors conduct individual advising sessions on a daily basis. In collaboration with the UChicagoGRAD team, this individual will plan and implement professional development events, and workshops, as well as other opportunities to help students and postdocs manage their graduate educational trajectory. Assistant Directors will also have employer recruitment and relations responsibilities related to advocating for graduate student, postdoc, and recent graduate alumni.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Standard Experience PhD in physical or biological sciences strongly preferred.
- Postdoc experience is a plus.
A minimum of two years of experience in career counseling OR two years of experience in industry required. Standard Job Function Competencies Essential – Required Other – Preferred Expertise in advising, mentoring, counseling or a related area required. Excellent verbal and written communications skills required. Deep commitment to customer service and the ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and work successfully in a fast-paced environment required. Demonstrated success in maintaining collaborative relationships with diverse constituencies required. Experience developing and organizing workshops, conferences or other professional development programs. Knowledge about the academic job market for scientists required. Knowledge about the range of career opportunities available to PhD scientists required. Knowledge of career development theory and strong coaching or counseling skills required. Ability to communicate to large groups as well as one-on-one with students, senior management, faculty, alumni, etc. required. Significant knowledge of online resources, spreadsheet and presentation software required. Willingness and ability to travel and work some evenings and weekends required.
Job Summary Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. (50%) One-on-one advising with graduate students, postdocs, and recent graduate alumni on topics including career exploration, job market planning and preparation, and the graduate student/postdoc experience, with the goal of helping graduate students/postdocs/graduate alumni successfully navigate their academic, professional, and personal transitions. Follow up with students, postdocs and graduate alumni via email and phone to track progress. Measure placement outcomes.
2. (25%) Develop relationships and work closely with campus partners (including the myCHOICE program, science faculty, program administrators and deans of students) on career development initiatives.
3. (25%) Develop and coordinate graduate-specific programs and workshops on professional development and career preparation topics, often in close collaboration with campus partners
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly one-on-one, in groups of people, Other – Preferred For more information, click here. and in writing required.
- Demonstrated teamwork skills to lead and collaborate with a wide range of students, faculty and staff in a complex and decentralized research university environment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality is required.
- Ability to work under pressure during seasonal high volume is required.
- A strong focus on customer service is required.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
For more information about this position, please contact:
Michael Tessel, Ph.D.
Graduate Career Development and Employer Relations
The University of Chicago