Job Opportunity: Education Program Associate, Penn State Science Outreach, University Park, PA
Penn State Science Outreach – Education Program Associate 2 Positions:
The Eberly College of Science (ECoS) Office of Science Outreach invites candidates to apply for the position of Education Program Associate. This position reports to the Director of Science Outreach. The successful candidate should, in collaboration, expect to contribute to the following: Program Planning and Implementation: Lead the planning and implementation of the office’s diverse outreach programs, including the Science-U summer camps.
- coordinating with outreach partners
- recruiting/managing volunteers
- designing marketing materials
- developing program content
- setting up program logistics (including provisions to ensure youth safety), and managing on-site activities during the programs
- Program Assessment: Analyze programmatic feedback from the office’s programs to drive future improvement. Assist with the development of assessment mechanisms for determining impact of Science Outreach programs on a broad scale.
- Broader Impacts: Advise ECoS faculty on the inclusion of science outreach broader impacts activities in research proposals. Assist with the design and content for the office’s online Broader Impacts Resource Center. Collaboratively develop new ways for the office to support and promote Broader Impacts activities within ECoS.
- Office Operations: Assist in interviewing, hiring, training, and supervision of student staff, wage, and work-study staff. Help maintain and improve quality, efficiency, and accuracy of service for all programs and office operations. Monitor budgets and keep excellent records. Oversee maintenance of office records as well as the maintenance, security and disposition of confidential records/materials.
- Other: Assist Director in researching and evaluating potential new outreach partnerships. Seek funding through grants, corporate entities, and external foundations to support the office’s programs. Represent outreach programs at pre-college or other community events. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned by the Director.
Typically requires a Bachelor's degree or higher plus two years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A Master's degree or higher in science, education, or other related field, plus additional years of work experience, or equivalence, is preferred; knowledge of computer programs including Excel, Word (Knowledge of Microsoft Publisher and Adobe Suite preferred); prior work in developing or implementing science-oriented outreach or education programs for diverse audiences, including K-12 youth; Enthusiasm, creativity, a passion for connecting science to the public, and a commitment to customer service; outstanding interpersonal, organizational, learning and communication abilities (both verbal and written); ability to adjust to a changing schedule, particularly during intense summer programs; capability to work both independently as an effective member of a team; ability to multi-task and respond professionally in stressful situations. This position requires that you operate a motor vehicle as part of your job duties. A valid driver's license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to standard background checks.
Applications must be submitted electronically at https://psu.jobs/job/70417 and include a cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three references. This is a fixed-term appointment funded for one year from date of hire with strong possibility of re-funding.