ASPIRE Internship: PurSolutions, LLC, Product Development Specialist
ASPIRE Internship Opportunity:
Product Development Specialist
111 10th Ave S
Nashville, TN 37203
PurSolutions (www.puresoluble.com) is a startup biotechnology company located in Nashville, TN at the Cumberland Emerging Technologies (CET) Life Science Center. We operate under the premise that nature has devised the most powerful and efficient mechanisms imaginable, and work at the intersection of biology and engineering to harness natural phenomena for synthetic applications. Our focus is on the cytoskeleton, or the cellular network of self-assembling protein filaments. By incorporating cytoskeletal proteins into self-assembling materials and devices, we aim to build technologies that build themselves.
PurSolutions has been awarded a Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to develop laboratory kits for undergraduate science professors to use in teaching the concept of self-assembly. We are seeking imaginative and forward-thinking research scientists to assist with various aspects of this project, including molecular assay development and prototype testing. Experience in protein biochemistry is required, and an aptitude for enzymology, nanotechnology, and/or STEM education is desired. Individuals will work closely with the founders of the company, gaining experience in multiple business aspects including lean startup principles, customer discovery, and product development.
- Internship would be from March – May, 2018. (12 weeks with option to renew following evaluation)
- Hours may vary, but the expectation is that the intern will be available for at least 8 hours per week. There is some flexibility depending on the interest and availability of the student.
- Internship is paid, part time.
- This opportunity will provide exposure to a biotech startup environment, industry R&D and commercialization, and STEM education.
- The intern would be working directly with the company founders on various aspects of a NSF SBIR-funded project.
- A formal letter from PurSolutions stating the internship goals and the intern’s accomplishments will be presented to the intern upon successful completion. This letter can be used as formal verification of the internship in subsequent job applications.
The intern will be requested to work on site at least 1 day per week at the PurSolutions laboratory (hours flexible). This is an important component of the internship that will provide an insightful glimpse into the daily activities of a startup company.
We seek individuals with the following characteristics:
- Goal oriented and self-motivated.
- Energized by learning new concepts and skills.
- Experience with protein biochemistry, including purification techniques and enzymatic assays.
- Basic knowledge of cytoskeletal proteins and self-assembly.
- Aptitude for enzymology and/or nanotechnology is desirable.
- Interest in STEM education is desirable.
- Adaptable to changing circumstances and goals.
Deadline to Apply: midnight, Monday, February 19, 2018
- Fill out the following ASPIRE Internship Application found here: (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PurSolubleSp18)
- Submit a CV and cover letter to Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org (Please submit documents as pdfs with yourlast name_PurSolubleSp2018 in the file name and with subject line: PurSoluble Intern Spring 2018.
- Schedule a meeting with Ashley Brady prior to the application deadline
Your information will then be passed along to the organization and they will contact you directly to schedule an interview.
For further questions, please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com).
- Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University PhD student or a current postdoctoral fellow.
- All PhD students must have completed all coursework for their degree prior to the start of the internship.
- Biomedical PhD students must also have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline.
- Students and postdocs may not participate in more than one internship at a time. More than one application may be submitted at a single time, but only one position can be accepted.
- If you are not in a department supported by the BRET office, we will also require that you complete a form guaranteeing PI approval to participate in this program. Please contact Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow, your visa status may affect your work eligibility. Please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com) to discuss this further.