ASPIRE Internship: Research Intern (Bioinformatics/Data Science)
ASPIRE Internship Opportunity:
Research Intern (Bioinformatics/Data Science)
111 10th Ave S #100, Nashville, TN 37203
IQuity, Inc. is a data science company using genomic and proprietary healthcare datasets to detect and monitor chronic disease. At IQuity, we developed game-changing blood tests using RNA data (genomic) to accurately identify autoimmune disease earlier than current, conventional testing methodologies. The application of data science and machine learning is the core of our business and drives our technological development.
IQuity offers three blood tests to help providers diagnose multiple sclerosis, IBS/IBD-Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis, and fibromyalgia with greater than 90 percent accuracy. Disease activity and monitoring tests are currently in development and planned for release later in 2018. The analytics platform focused on population-level analytics for the prediction, detection, and monitoring of chronic disease will be made available later in 2018.
At IQuity we are seeking a creative, highly motivated Research Intern (Bioinformatics/Data Science) to join a team of immunologists and computational biologists exploring gene expression patterns in autoimmune disease. Primary human blood samples will be studied in the laboratory leveraging sequencing and quantitative real-time PCR platforms to generate data. This position will work closely with members of research and development staff to analyze these datasets.
- Work with research and development team members to construct analysis pipelines in Mathematica/R/MatLab or similar platforms to analyze autoimmune datasets generated in the IQuity R&D lab
- Use gene expression data to derive diagnostic models for autoimmune disease using machine learning methods
- Gain an understanding and operational familiarity with basic molecular biology principles in the ‘wet lab’ including nucleic acid isolation, principles of RNA/DNA sequencing, and PCR.
- Communicate findings to R&D team and leadership to ensure successful implementation of projects into IQuity processes.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Candidates with >2 years’ computer programming experience are preferred. Research projects leveraging this expertise should be highlighted on the submitted resume.
- Familiarity with Mathematica, R, MatLab, or SQL and machine learning methods (SVMs, boosting methods, etc). Applicants should highlight relevant knowledge of these platforms on their resume.
- Applicants must have a strong grasp of the English language in spoken and written form.
- Applicants must submit and pass a background check and sign Non-Disclosure and Non-Compete Agreements with IQuity.
IQuity’s laboratory and offices are located behind Union Station in downtown Nashville.
IQuity offers a unique and dynamic work environment that is fast-paced yet affords significant flexibility. For that reason, employees at IQuity need to be highly self-motivated and proactive at identifying and taking responsibility for tasks. Extension of an internship offer implicitly implies that we consider an individual to be capable of thriving in such a versatile and unique work environment.
- Internship start date is flexible. Estimated start date will be July 2018 continuing through September 2018 (approx. 12 weeks, with the option to extend pending review).
- Internship is paid, part-time (8-10hrs per week on site, more hours possible as desired by candidate).
To apply: Applications due by midnight, Monday June 18, 2018
- Fill out the following ASPIRE Internship Application found here: (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/IQuitysummer2018)
- Submit a CV and cover letter to Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org (Please submit documents as pdfs with your last name_IQuitySum2018 in the file name and with subject line: IQuity Intern Summer 2018.
- Schedule a meeting with Ashley Brady prior to the application deadline.
Your information will then be passed along to the host who will contact you directly to schedule an interview.
For further questions, please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com).
- Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University PhD student or a current postdoctoral fellow.
- All PhD students must have completed all coursework for their degree prior to the start of the internship.
- Biomedical PhD students must also have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline.
- Students and postdocs may not participate in more than one internship at a time. More than one application may be submitted at a single time, but only one position can be accepted.
- If you are not in a department supported by the BRET office, we will also require that you complete a form guaranteeing PI approval to participate in this program. Please contact Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow, your visa status may affect your work eligibility. Please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com) to discuss this further.