ASPIRE Internship: BioTN Foundation Inc. Enterprise Development Intern
ASPIRE Internship Opportunity:
BioTN Foundation Inc.
Enterprise Development Intern
BioTN Foundation, Inc is a non-profit 501c3 foundation formed to facilitate and inspire Tennessee children and adults to explore the sciences. BioTN launched with three goals: 1) to enhance and improve STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) K-16 education in Tennessee; 2) to help train and connect Tennesseans for careers in the STEM fields; and 3) to promote the growth of businesses in the state based on STEM innovations, thereby creating high quality jobs for our citizens.
In 2016 BioTN expanded its board and mission to include that of entrepreneurship and enterprise development, a natural extension for education and workforce development initiatives it supported over the last decade.
BioTN’s mission is to promote within the state of Tennessee, the Southeastern US and beyond:
- Knowledge of, and education in, STEM and the biosciences;
- Innovation and entrepreneurship in STEM and the biosciences;
- The positive impact of STEM and the biosciences on human health.
To this end, BioTN has focused efforts on two primary initiatives:
STEM PREPARATORY ACADEMY –STEM Prep serves over 700 students in grades 5-10, and will add 200 more students and grades 11 and 12 over the next two years. STEM Prep Academy is dedicated to delivering a rigorous, inquiry-based education with a strategic focus on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and has become widely recognized as among the best charter schools in the state of Tennessee, and in the nation.
COFACTORY – A biosciences incubator to provide an environment that fosters growth of life science technology-based startup companies and increases the number of successful life science companies in the region, leading to the development and commercialization of more new tools to prevent, diagnose or treat diseases and injuries.
- Internship would be from appx July- Sept, 2018 (10-12 weeks), with the option to extend pending review
- Appx 5 hours per week.
- Internship will be unpaid
- Learn about setting-up and growing a non-profit organization in the life sciences sector, specifically a life sciences start-up incubator
- Gain an inside view of the daily operations necessary for running a non-profit entity
- Make connections with business and biotech leaders in the local life sciences entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Observe the Executive Director’s daily responsibilities and strategic decision making
- Assist with community outreach, including relationship building
- Participate in creative marketing, strategic planning and communication efforts
We seek individuals with the following characteristics:
- Ambitious, energetic self-starter
- Interest in entrepreneurship and enterprise in the life sciences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office
To apply: Applications due by 11:59pm, Monday June 18, 2018
- Fill out the following ASPIRE Internship Application found here: (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BioTnSum2018)
- Submit a CV and cover letter to Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org (Please submit documents as pdfs with your last name_BioTN_Su 2018 in the file name and with subject line: ASPIRE Internship:BioTN
- Schedule a meeting with Ashley Brady prior to the application deadline.
Your information will then be passed along to the host will contact you directly to schedule an interview.
For further questions, please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com).
- Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University PhD student or a current postdoctoral fellow.
- All PhD students must have completed all coursework for their degree prior to the start of the internship.
- Biomedical PhD students must also have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline.
- Students and postdocs may not participate in more than one internship at a time. More than one application may be submitted at a single time, but only one position can be accepted.
- If you are not in a department supported by the BRET office, we will also require that you complete a form guaranteeing PI approval to participate in this program. Please contact Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow, your visa status may affect your work eligibility. Please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com) to discuss this further.