ASPIRE Internship: Clinical Data Science Intern, Utilize Health, Nashville, TN
ASPIRE Internship Opportunity:
Clinical Data Science Intern
Nashville City Center Building
(1st Tennessee Bank Building)
511 Union Avenue
At Utilize Health, we match patients with life-altering conditions and injuries to the care they need. Our goal is to help every patient reach his or her maximum potential for recovery. It’s a big job that takes innovative ideas, strategic partnerships, and a commitment to seeing that patients are receiving the best care possible. Above all, it takes a compassionate team that is dedicated to making a real difference in the lives of our members and our communities.
Working at Utilize is a mission. A mission that defines us as professionals, unites us as an organization, and shapes how we interact with our members and each other.
WHAT WE DO:
Our clinical program is specialized neurological care management of patients with debilitating neurological conditions, such as stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injuries/disorders, Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, and Muscular Dystrophy. This high- risk patient population, though quite small statistically, accounts for direct medical expenditures in excess of $100B annually in the United States yet suffer among the poorest patient outcomes.
Putting feet on our company’s mission “no one walks alone,” we work with patients and their families or caregivers to get the patients on an optimized care path (which is ill-defined in the healthcare system for this particular patient population). While working toward optimization, we take a proactive, preventive approach to managing conditions to avoid their exacerbation. Through our efforts, our patients achieve better health outcomes, get placed on an appropriate care path for maximal recovery potential, while our health plan customers experience a reduction in medical spend. Right care, right time at its best!
WHAT IS AN INTERNSHIP LIKE AT UTILIZE HEALTH?
At Utilize Health, we are looking for a passionate, detail-oriented individual who is interested in a working with an early stage healthcare startup company; we’re chasing excellence and need someone who can move quickly in an ever-changing, fast paced environment.
The paid internship at Utilize Health is unique in many ways. We believe the best way to learn is by doing. Additionally, we believe that in order for you to be successful in your career, you need to have a passion for what you are doing. Our internship will provide a means for you to develop expertise through “doing” and also give you the opportunity to immerse yourself in multiple aspects of the work we do that make our company stand out. These aspects include but are certainly not limited to
- Specialized clinical care management delivery model
- Quality and Regulatory standards impacting delivered care
- Evidence based, best practice standards and strategies
- Clinical leadership
- Data aggregation and analytics
FOCUS AREAS FOR CLINICAL DATA SCIENCE INTERN:
The clinical data science intern will report to and work closely with the Chief Clinical Officer. This intern position will focus on data science and analysis of claims data to define/determine trends in our patient population as well as business opportunity. The following are specific tasks for the Clinical Data Science Intern
Analytics/Data Algorithm Development (80%)
- Work with Data Scientist and Chief Clinical Officer to develop new strategies for patient identification, selection, and stratification
- Major focus on predictive analytics in defined patient population
- Do data aggregation to analyze population trends
- Present and defend work done to C-Suite
- Collaborate with business owners to refine existing algorithms
- Develop and deliver presentations as requested
Clinical Research, Regulatory, Compliance, and Quality Initiatives (20%)
- Research state and Federal regulatory requirements that serve as basis for clinical policies/procedures and SOPs
- Research topics as assigned to expand our current databases
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Ideal candidate will have experience in health care analytics/data analysis
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Upbeat, friendly personality. Polite, positive, respectful self-starter who works well with others.
- Organized and detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and problem solve in fast- paced work environment.
WHY WORK WITH US?
Your career can turn into anything you want here, as long as you’re willing to put in the work. Startups are incredibly rewarding. You’ll not only see your work implemented, but you’ll be able to see how your work impacts the company directly.
- Internship will run October 2018 – May 2019, with the opportunity to extend pending review.
- Internship is paid, part-time (8-10 hours per week during normal business hours)
- Prefer availability Thursday mornings 8:30-9:30 for clinical team strategy meetings
- Pre-employment screening required to include background check and drug screening test.
Applications due by midnight, Thursday, September 20, 2018
- Fill out the following ASPIRE Internship Application found here: (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UtilizeHealth_Fa2018)
- Submit a resume and cover letter to Ashley Brady at email@example.com (Please submit documents as pdfs with your last name_Utilize Health_Fall 2018 in the file name and with subject line: ASPIRE Internship: Utilize Health)
- Schedule a meeting with Ashley Brady prior to the application deadline
Your information will then be passed along to the organization and they will contact you directly to schedule an interview.
For further questions, please contact Ashley Brady (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University PhD student or a current postdoctoral fellow.
- All PhD students must have completed all coursework for their degree prior to the start of the internship.
- Biomedical PhD students must also have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline.
- Students and postdocs may not participate in more than one internship at a time. More than one application may be submitted at a single time, but only one position can be accepted.
- If you are not in a department supported by the BRET office, we will also require that you complete a form guaranteeing PI approval to participate in this program. Please contact Ashley Brady at email@example.com for more information.
- If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow, your visa status may affect your work eligibility. Please contact Ashley Brady (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss this further.