Job Opportunity: Research Grants Manager, Susan G. Komen, Dallas TX
At Susan G. Komen®, we are committed to saving lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer to achieve our Bold Goal to reduce the number of breast cancer deaths in the U.S. by 50 percent by 2026. Our Research Program is an essential driving force for achieving this mission.
The Research Grants Manager will provide scientific expertise to support peer review of research grant applications; provide scientific expertise to Komen’s Research Programs post award process through management of Komen funded grants; coordinate with the Research Programs Evaluation team and Communications department in tracking and evaluating research outcomes and promising discoveries; be current and knowledgeable of other scientific organizations funding procedures; and, serve as a Komen representative on internal and external committees and working groups to represent Komen’s research process and provides input regarding best practices.
- Provide management and oversight of assigned peer review committees.
- Lead peer review committee discussions.
- Uphold Komen’s principles of scientific excellence, fairness and transparency in all aspects of the grants application, review and management process.
- Provide scientific expertise to Komen’s Research Programs Post Award Process
- Manage assigned portfolios of Komen funded grants.
- Oversee scientific review of assurances, progress and financial reports, potential overlap in funding, and change requests for active research grants, and close out process for completed grants.
- Develops approach for assessing and documenting scientific progress to ensure that grant funds are used in support of Komen’s mission.
- Identify and implement strategic plan for improving grantee relations, evaluating partnership opportunities, and serving as a key liaison to grantees.
- Coordinate with Research Programs Evaluation team and Communications Department in tracking and evaluating research outcomes and promising discoveries and in developing strategies and novel approaches for illustrating the impact of Komen’s research investments.
- Keeps current and is knowledgeable of other scientific organizations funding procedures.
- Identify disease and research funding trends and research policies and procedures utilized by other research funders to provide background for decision-making to Komen leadership.
- Ensure that Komen leadership and other Komen departments as appropriate are apprised of grantee accomplishments, issues, emerging trends, etc.to assist with developing communications as appropriate.
Minimum Experience Required
- Doctoral Degree in Cancer Biology or Doctoral Degree in another field of study if postdoctoral fellowship was conducted in breast cancer research.
- One to three years of experience managing grants.
- Database management experience and demonstrated technical facility.
- Ability to manage a large, complex workflow with multiple deadlines, data points, and priorities.
- Highly developed administrative and organizational skills, and financial acumen.
- Superior interpersonal skills, both in person and on the telephone.
- Demonstrated success coordinating information and data across multiple team members.
- Ability to prioritize, and manage daily business dynamics.
- Shows positive approach to work, flexibility, cultural awareness, sensitivity to relationships, security, and confidentiality.
- Must have excellent and instinctive service and customer relationship skills.
- Excellent organizational and contract and project management skills required.
- Solid writing and speaking skills required.
- Direct experience and publication history in breast cancer research.
- One or more years of experience in grants or program administration, preferably in health research and/or scientific project development.
Specialized Knowledge Requirements
- Knowledge of the scientific and research process, particularly research funding and grant-making operations.
- Knowledge of breast cancer, breast cancer research and understanding of and comfort with scientific methods and terminology.