Job Opportunity: Career and Professional Development Fellowship, iBiology, San Francisco, CA
iBiology Career and Professional Development Fellowship Job description: iBiology is seeking a full-time Career and Professional Development Fellow who will continue to develop our efforts in providing high quality career and professional development courses (https://courses.ibiology.org) and videos (https://www.ibiology.org/careers-in-biology/) for life scientists. This is a 10-12 month fellowship for individuals interested in gaining real-world experience in developing, marketing, and evaluating online science education resources for life science graduate students and postdoctoral scientists.
iBiology (http://www.ibiology.org) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the free, worldwide dissemination of scientific knowledge in the life sciences, mainly in the form of video. iBiology’s collection of free online videos and courses by leading biologists is used by students and researchers around the world. iBiology has produced over 500 videos, has 2 million video views per year from 180 countries and 75,000 subscribers and 30,000 social media followers. iBiology is a small independent non-profit organization located at the University of California, San Francisco and funded primarily by the NSF and NIH.
The Career and Professional Development Fellow’s responsibilities include:
● Working with iBiology Director and Associate Director of Career and Professional Development to fulfill the overall project objectives in the implementation of the professional development courses and video modules, which includes such duties as:
o Helping develop and launch an online course on giving effective research talks.
o Developing strategy and curriculum for online courses, including production schedule, learning objective design, and course text writing.
o Developing and launching video modules and/or hosted webinars on professional development topics.
o Working with videographer(s), editor(s), illustrator(s), and animator(s) to produce high-quality and engaging videos.
o Working with experts committed to fostering diversity to ensure the videos are equitable and inclusive of different cultural backgrounds, especially those of underrepresented groups.
o Evaluating outcomes from the professional development video modules and assisting in evaluating outcomes from the online courses.
● Creating associated web and marketing content for online courses and video modules.
● Assisting in developing educator guides for pre-existing iBiology online courses.
● Helping develop and execute dissemination strategies to distribute content and encourage widespread use.
● Building and maintaining relationships with networks of related organizations and societies.
Qualifications and Experience
● Ph.D. in the biological sciences.
● 0-2 years of post-graduate or postdoctoral work experience.
● 1 or more years experience in science communication/education.
● Demonstrated interest in improving professional development opportunities for biology PhDs.
● Superb presentation and written communication skills; ability to be creative and engaging in various forms of communication.
● Well organized, detailed oriented, and able to prioritize and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
● An enthusiastic and positive team player with strong interpersonal skills who is able to work well in a small team.
● Proven relationship-building skills with people from various backgrounds and cultural landscapes.
● Has a keen eye for a good science talks/lectures; preferably has received some science communication training.
Job location: San Francisco, California Equal opportunity employer
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States Preferred
Start Date: Aug 2019 One-year grant-funded fellowship position with iBiology, Inc., with the possibility for extension, dependent on project needs and grant funding. This fellowship includes stipend and benefits. The stipend ranges from $70,000 – $80,000 per year, depending on previous experience and other factors. Stipend amount commensurate with other entry-level positions in this career area.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com