Job Opportunity: Assistant Professor in Microbiology, Department of Biology, CSU Fresno, Fresno CA
The Position: The Department of Biology in the College of Science and Mathematics at California State University, Fresno seeks applicants for a tenure-track, academic year position as an Assistant Professor in Microbiology. The successful candidate will be broadly trained with expertise in microbiology. All candidates whose research program uses a microorganism (archaea, bacteria, eukaryotic microorganisms) as a model will be considered. Applicants who study molecular/cellular/biochemical mechanisms underlying microbial physiology, disease, or biotechnology are encouraged to apply. Specific teaching assignments will depend on the candidate’s expertise and departmental needs, which may include general microbiology, microbial physiology, medical microbiology, microbial genetics, microbial ecology, and/or graduate courses in the candidate’s area of expertise. The successful candidate is expected to develop a research program that involves both undergraduate and graduate masters students, and pursue external funding. Faculty members are also expected to engage in service activities at all levels of the university and provide academic and professional advice to students.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education: An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) in Microbiology, Biology with a specialization in Microbiology, or a closely-related discipline from an accredited institution (or equivalent) is required.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds,
- Evidence of publications in scholarly journals,
- Demonstration of grant writing or scholarly activity at the university level,
- Evidence of teaching preparedness.
- Experience teaching and working with undergraduate and graduate students,
- Postdoctoral research or experience,
- A publication record that is commensurate with the candidate’s experience,
- Success obtaining extramural grants and contracts for research.
Application Procedures: Review of applications will begin on 10/1/2021, and will continue until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, apply by this date. To apply, applicants must complete an online application at https://careers.fresnostate.edu/en-us/job/500961/microbiology-assistant-professor and attach the following:
- A cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications,
- A current curriculum vitae,
- A statement of current and future research,
- A statement of teaching philosophy,
- A statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds,
- Names and contact information of five professional references.
Upon request, finalists will be required to submit:
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
For inquiries, contact: Dr. Katherine Waselkov, Search Committee Chair, California State University, Fresno, Department of Biology, College of Science and Mathematics; email: email@example.com.