ASPIRE Internship: Healthcare AI Product Intern, Decode Health & IQuity Labs, Inc., Nashville, TN, remote
ASPIRE Internship Opportunity
Healthcare AI Product Intern
Decode Health & IQuity Labs, Inc.
Nashville, TN (remote)
- Jamieson Gray, Chief of Staff, Decode Health & IQuity Labs, Inc.
This is a joint internship position with both IQuity Labs, Inc. and Decode Health, Inc.
Decode Health uses AI and machine learning to create actionable, predictive insights that enable care earlier, leading to improved outcomes and lower costs. With a focus on chronic disease management, COVID-19, and the impact of COVID-19 on chronic disease outcomes, Decode Health’s predictive insights drive actions to reduce future disease risk and adverse events. Stakeholders, including payers, laboratories, and care managers understand who to target for testing and other clinical interventions and why. Decode Health’s solution is easily deployed and uses multiple types of public health and clinical data including insurance claims, electronic health records, and testing results. Given that 80% of a person’s health is driven by social, physical and environmental factors, Decode Health combines clinical and social determinants of health data to provide context for predictions in order to understand the factors that influence disease risk and outcomes.
IQuity, Inc. uses genomic datasets to detect and monitor chronic disease. At IQuity, we developed game-changing blood tests using RNA data (genomic) to accurately identify autoimmune disease earlier than current, conventional testing methodologies. The application of data science and machine learning is the core of our business and drives our technological development.
We are seeking a creative, highly motivated Healthcare AI Product Intern to assist in developing both the business strategy and technical design of our core products. You will work closely with our existing team to deeply understand why and how we’ve designed our analytics offerings to-date. Upon achieving that understanding, we will collaboratively define discrete projects where you can add value to our products’ development.
Today, we leverage a variety of data sources, including genomic data from peripheral whole blood, social determinants of health information, and population-level datasets ranging from insurance claims to real-time patient surveys. We also leverage a variety of technologies ranging from no-/low-code analytics software to custom coded scripts (python, R, etc.). These data and technologies lead to predictive results driving health outcome and economic benefits to individuals and populations.
One week, you may be creating logic and gathering research to reinforce our economic value proposition. Another, you may be defining and executing on specific technical enhancements of a data pipeline. In this position, you will have the opportunity to learn about, experience, and improve a multitude of data problems, process inputs, analytical tools, and AI-powered deliverables.
- Understand and embrace the ongoing development of analysis pipelines leveraging Decode and IQuity’s existing framework to perform descriptive and predictive studies
- Suggest and potentially execute on process improvements throughout our data pipelines
- Develop customer-specific economic models reflective of the healthcare cost efficiencies associated with the early detection of certain autoimmune and chronic conditions. The ideal candidate will be able to lead or contribute to the following objectives within both companies:
- Population case studies: Data visualization, storytelling, and report development for multiple data use cases and patient populations. Current disease focus areas are chronic disease and viral respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19.
- Recurring activities: Collaboration to enhance standard visualization processes, economic models, and population models.
- New data research: Identifying novel research and case studies of applied ML/AI to early and accurate identify and diagnose complex chronic conditions.
- Communicate findings to leadership to ensure successful development of population health models relative to IQuity/Decode customer relationships and ongoing business development efforts.
- Participate in weekly data team interactions.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Candidates with >2 years’ research projects experience; leveraging this expertise should be highlighted on the submitted resume.
- Familiarity with data science concepts and machine learning methods (SVMs, boosting methods, etc). Applicants should highlight relevant knowledge of these platforms on their resume.
- Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint
- Experience / proficiency with low-/no-code software packages
- Experience / proficiency with R/Python or similar software packages
- Strong grasp of the English language in spoken and written form
This will be a virtual position due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Decode Health and IQuity’s offices are located behind Union Station in downtown Nashville.
Decode Health and IQuity offer a unique and dynamic work environment that is fast-paced yet affords significant flexibility. For that reason, employees at both companies need to be highly self-motivated and proactive at identifying and taking responsibility for tasks. Extension of an internship offer implicitly implies that we consider an individual to be capable of thriving in such a versatile and unique work environment.
- Internship start date is flexible. Estimated start date will be late-October 2021 continuing through late Winter 2021-2022 (flexible; approx. 12 weeks; option to extend pending review).
- Internship is paid, part-time (8-10 hours per week).
- Applicants must submit and pass a background check and sign Non-Disclosure and Non-Compete Agreements with IQuity and Decode Health.
Applications will be put forward on a rolling basis as received, with a final deadline at 12:00pm (noon), Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021
- Fill out the following ASPIRE Internship Application found here: (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DecodeHealth_AIProductInternApp_Fa2021)
- Submit your CV/resume and cover letter to Ashley Brady (firstname.lastname@example.org). (Please submit documents as pdfs with your last name_DeCODE_IQuity AI_Fa2021 in the file name and with subject line: ASPIRE Internship: Decode/IQuity Fa 2021)
- Schedule a Zoom advising meeting with Ashley Brady prior to the application deadline: https://calendly.com/ashley-brady
Your information will then be passed along to the organization and they will contact you directly to schedule an interview.
Please review ASPIRE Internship FAQs: Found here
For further questions, please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com).
- Applicants must be a current Vanderbilt University PhD student or a current postdoctoral fellow.
- All PhD students must have completed all coursework for their degree prior to the start of the internship.
- Biomedical PhD students must also have passed their qualifying exams before the application deadline.
- Students and postdocs may not participate in more than one internship at a time. More than one application may be submitted at a single time, but only one position can be accepted.
- If you are not in a department supported by the BRET office, we will also require that you complete a form guaranteeing PI approval to participate in this program. Please contact Ashley Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow, your visa status may affect your work eligibility. Please contact Ashley Brady (email@example.com) to discuss this further.
- Must have authorization to work in the US