Job Opportunity: Immunology Intern, AstraZeneca – Gaithersburg, MD
Title: Bioscience/ Immunology Intern
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Duration: 12 weeks
AstraZeneca is a global, science-driven biopharmaceutical company. We are dedicated to discovering, developing, and delivering innovative, meaningful medicines and healthcare solutions that enrich the lives of patients. The vision of AstraZeneca Early Respiratory & Immunology (Early R&I) is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health and help fight and cure disease. Early R&I is one of three main therapeutic research areas within AstraZeneca that deliver candidate drugs into late-stage clinical development. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide. This is a position located in Gaithersburg, Maryland within AstraZeneca’s state-of-the-art laboratories where you will follow the science to help drive innovation and advance medicine to help improve patient lives. For more information please visit www.astrazeneca.com.
We are currently seeking candidates who are working towards obtaining a bachelor’s degree or graduate degree (MS/PhD) in immunology, biology, biotechnology, molecular biology, or related discipline for a paid summer internship.
The intern will work on cell biology/ immunology projects, under the guidance of our senior scientists, to perform relevant quantitative research/ experiments.
Provide experience and training for a student in Cell biology/immunology, focusing on drug development, molecular biology, and immunology. The student will assist with developing /optimizing a robust In-vitro/ex-vivo assay to measure the clearance of dead neutrophils by human macrophages which is a key process for the development of autoimmunity/SLE.
- Develop experimental plans/protocols with guidance and execute experiments.
- Develop and optimize novel human in vitro and ex vivo assays to assess immune functions.
- Design and perform immune cell isolations and functional assays, microscopic analysis, ELISA assays.
- Work in highly collaborative manner in a multidisciplinary team in a matrix- environment.
- Write protocols, methods and provide scientific interpretation of results.
- Present data at lab/departmental meetings.
- A minimum of two years of undergraduate work toward a B.S. or graduate degree in immunology, biology, biotechnology, molecular biology, or related discipline.
- Effective user of Microsoft Office application suite
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment and learn to use equipment with an emphasis on lab safety
- Excitement and initiative to gain industry experience and learn new skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse work environment to meet project milestones in a timely fashion
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) to summarize development work, critical conclusions, and relevance to the bigger picture
- Minimum GPA: 3.2
- Must be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship, be able to work onsite in Gaithersburg, MD for the summer, at least 18 years of age, and enrolled in a full-time academic program pursuing a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
Apply online by clicking the link here.