ASPIRE workshop on Preparing for a Faculty Career and Job Search
Are you considering a career as a research- or teaching-focused faculty member, or going on the faculty job market this fall?
If you answered, “YES,” to either of these questions, then this upcoming workshop is for you!
On August 19 and August 22, 2022, the ASPIRE Program will host, “Preparing for a Faculty Career and Job Search.” The workshop is for postdocs and late-stage grad students in the biomedical and life sciences are considering faculty careers, including a special CV review round robin session just for individuals who are going on the market this fall.
You may register for individual sessions or attend the entire 1.5 day event, which will feature interactive sessions and panel discussions with current faculty about:
- Overview of the academic job search process
- Understanding faculty roles at different types of institutions
- Planning an independent research career
- How search committees work
- Perfecting your “pitch”
- Interviewing skills
- Writing a teaching philosophy
- Writing a diversity statement
- Negotiating a job offer
- CV review round robin (for those going on the job market this year)
This event is in-person in Light Hall, and we will be following current VUMC guidance on masking inside classrooms. Advance registration is requested by August 12 so that we have an accurate headcount for the lunchtime session.
Please visit the event website for session descriptions, featured speakers, and registration information.