Scripps Research, Intern, Strategic Planning
Are you interested in strategic planning and business development? The Scripps Research seeks the services of an intern for strategic planning.
The Strategic Planning Intern will help develop research initiatives and strategies for The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) and support the strategic disposition and partnership of technologies created and developed at Calibr, a division of Scripps dedicated to drug discovery and development. The intern reports to the Senior Director of Strategic Planning and will collaborate with research and administrative colleagues. Interns will be exposed to and/or directly involved in diverse activities that may include:
Research Initiatives: support the development of scientific initiatives at Scripps Research relating to a broad spectrum of topics including neuroscience, infectious disease, immunology, aging, regenerative medicine, and more
Portfolio Strategy: produce executive summaries and PPT decks of competitive analysis and primary and secondary market research to define opportunities for Scripps-Calibr R&D pipeline programs
Partnership Strategy: identification of potential nonprofit partners; facilitation of new relationships with foundations, government entities, research institutes/ universities, and clinical research organizations across relevant Scripps/Calibr research and drug discovery/development areas; development of marketing materials to facilitate outreach to prioritized partnering targets
Prospect Strategy: identification of potential philanthropic partners based on areas of interest and past giving
Communications: researching and writing accurate content for briefs, grants, and proposals for scientific and non-scientific audiences. Develop content for the Calibr LinkedIn and website.
- Paid, full-time internship program in a virtual/ remote work environment for a minimum of 12 weeks
- Opportunity to join a nimble, highly dynamic, and motivated team that drives the partnership efforts of a world-class research organization whose mission is to advance science to make an impact on human health
- Obtain true cross-functional experience both internally (senior scientific, business development, global health and communications leads) and externally with key opinion leaders and potential nonprofit partners (funders and research organizations)
- Gain exposure to a diverse pipeline of R&D programs from preclinical to Ph2 clincial trials and gain experience in in-depth diligence surrounding non-dilutive funding opportunities
- Exposure to challenging, business-critical projects and opportunity to present project findings to leadership
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Support key strategic planning activities including preparation and creation of presentations, relevant reports, memorandums, and research plans to funding organizations, potential research partners, or internal stakeholders
- Generate and maintain landscape analyses of nondilutive funding opportunities and potential partners; summarize and present the analysis results internally to facilitate decision making in R&D strategies
- Interact with peers across business functions to gather key information and data to drive key development decisions
- Coordinate with researchers and colleagues to develop proposals, grant applications, op-eds, and other communications to facilitate strategic objectives
- Write compelling and comprehensive proposals; perform research, analysis, project management, and collateral development to support such activities
- Generate and maintain reports, analyses, dashboards, and Calibr’s LinkedIn page
- Details of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
- An undergraduate degree in the life sciences (e.g., biology, chemistry, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering) required
- PhD in life sciences, chemistry, chemical engineering, or related field preferred (in progress or completed)
- Experience in business/competitive analysis and/or market research experience in either the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry, life science investment banking or equity research, life science strategy consulting or similar field preferred
- Exceptional analytical, verbal, and written communication skills; highly articulate in both group and individual settings; ability to describe scientific concepts to a diverse audience
- Excellent technical and non-technical presentation and writing skills; experience with grant writing strongly preferred
- Strong technical and analytical skills for evaluating commercial market potential covering a broad base of science and technology
- Understanding of the drug development process, approval process, licensing and IP, small molecules, and biologics
- Experience building credibility with internal and external stakeholders, must possess a high degree of self-reliance, flexibility and initiative, combined with excellent marketing and business skills.
- Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and collaborative environment, meet deadlines, work flexible hours, and multitask.
- Experience with graphics software including Adobe Create Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) and Canva preferred
Highlights of the Internship:
-Intern will support the research initiatives, communications, and portfolio, partnership, and prospect strategy at the Scripps Research Institute and Calibr, the drug-development division at Scripps Research
-Gain experience to a diverse pipeline of R&D programs from preclinical to Ph2 clinical trials
Internship Flyer: Scripps-Research-Strategic-Planning-Intern-Job-Description
To apply, click here