“Career Empowerment for Women in Science”
Monday, Aug. 28, 2017 | 3-4 p.m. ET | FREE
For women pursuing careers in the sciences, there are a number of unique challenges. Fortunately, there are also a number of strategies that women can employ to allow their talent, intelligence and scientific skill to shine through. This is the first of two webcasts addressing this topic.
Our discussion will be led by Dr. Shirley Malcom and Dr. Celeste Rohlfing, two women who have faced these challenges, firsthand. Their insights will prove invaluable – and inspirational – to any female scientist or entrepreneur interested in furthering their career.
Topics Covered Include:
- Salary, benefits packages and other differentials.
- Leadership roles and leadership training.
- Finding the right career mentors.
- Women as entrepreneurs (difficulties in accessing venture capital).
- Women in industry, academia, national labs and government.
- Responsibility of institutions to act.
- Implicit bias in hiring, promotion and peer review for publication and grants.
- Need for systemic, structural changes within institutions.