The University of Virginia seeks an Associate Director of Graduate Professional Development to help lead the implementation of University-wide programs and initiatives that support the professional, personal, and career development of graduate students and postdocs.
The Associate Director will be located in the University-wide Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs with a joint appointment to the University of Virginia Career Center, and will help lead the development and implementation of PhD Plus, the University’s signature program to create the next generation of versatile PhDs, capable of long-term success in a wide variety of career fields.
Specific responsibilities include providing individual career counseling for graduate students and postdocs and collaborating in the development of new programs and initiatives in support of their professional development. Implementation of these programs will involve coordinating, organizing and presenting at regular seminars, workshops, and other events, and working closely with University of Virginia Career Center leadership and staff.
The Associate Director will help to develop and maintain a dynamic web presence and a communication plan for graduate student and postdoc professional development that ensures timely and accurate delivery of information, news, and events related to career development via websites, email, list serves, and social media platforms. He or she will also assist in the development of new online professional and career development resources.
In addition to these duties, the Associate Director will work to support the collection of data on experiences and career outcomes for graduate students and postdocs across the University and will serve as co-director on a three-year Council of Graduate Schools funded project to implement University-wide surveys of doctoral students and alumni.
This position is an initial three-year appointment but renewable upon mutual agreement.
- Individual Career Advising for Graduate Students and Postdocs - 30%
- Conducts individual advising for grad students and postdocs across the University.Helps students and postdocs identify viable career options and appropriate job search strategies. Counsels students and postdocs on career change issues (ie. redefining academic skills for the non-academic job market in relation to career change issues).
- Program Development and Implementation - 30%
- Organizes and delivers seminars, workshops, and other events in support of professional development and community-building among graduate students and postdocs.
- Electronic Resources and Communications – 15%
- Develops and maintains electronic resources and information related to postdoc and grad student career and professional development as well as administrative resources for students, postdocs, faculty and staff.Communicates information regarding professional development opportunities to all relevant constituencies.
- Data Collection and Maintenance – 15%
- Assists in the development of strategy and implementation of data collection initiatives regarding grad student and postdoc experiences, and career outcomes.Gathers information on postdoctoral applicant pools, post-UVA employment outcomes, and additional information required for training grant applications and other funding/accreditation agencies.
- Administrative – 10%
- Assists in the coordination of policies and procedures that impact graduate students and postdocs. Serves on university-wide committees relating to professional development issues and initiatives.Assists in supervision and development of graduate interns.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Academic advising, career counseling, or related experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong desire to work with graduate students, postdocs, faculty and administrators from a wide range of fields across the University.
- PhD or terminal degree in field of study
- Five plus years of academic advising, career counseling, or related experience
For more information and to apply: https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?ti...