Microscopy & Image Analysis Laboratory Managing Director
The Microscopy & Image Analysis Laboratory (MIL), as part of Michigan Medicine’s Biomedical Research Core Facilities (BRCF) within the Office of Research, provides centralized access to major imaging instrumentation to investigators across the University of Michigan.
The University of Michigan seeks to become a world leader in microscopy and image analysis. This role will lead the MIL in providing technology and expertise to researchers in basic and translational science, giving them the ability to visualize structures within cells, tissues and organs at higher resolution than ever before.
We have identified three areas of critical investment that are essential to achieve our vision of providing researchers across campus with access to advanced imaging instrumentation, training, and data analysis that will speed the progress of scientific discovery.
This position will be responsible for:
- Directing the day-to-day operations of the core
- Assessing and planning for the future growth and direction of imaging needs across areas of service, by evaluating, introducing & implementing new technology such as super resolution and light sheet microscopy
- Managing the life cycle of service offerings of the core
- Working with vendors to negotiate equipment purchases and maintenance contracts
- Working with the MIL faculty director to enhance service offerings and conduct scientific advisory committee meetings
- Developing and maintaining standard operating procedures
- Preparing proposals for equipment grants, which can include internal and external opportunities (e.g., NIH S10 instrumentation grants)
- Representing the MIL at internal and external seminars & conferences
- Overseeing & developing data analysis resources for investigators that utilize the MIL
- Collaborating with other BRCF cores to further promote team science
- Preparing & presenting seminars to enhance the knowledge base of MIL users
- Participating in BRCF marketing activities
- Interviewing, selecting and training of employees, planning and directing their work and evaluating productivity and efficiency
- Identifying & providing professional development and training opportunities for MIL staff
- Creating & sustaining an environment for effective team building
- Preparing recharge rates for the MIL and setting annual budgets
- Monitoring usage metrics to support rates and budgets, taking corrective action when required
- Interfacing with CrossLabs software and University IT to enhance usability, troubleshoot issues, and ensure timely & accurate billing and reporting
- Ph.D. in Biological Science, with extensive experience in advance imaging techniques, including live cell imaging, super resolution microscopy, fluorescence (including 2-Photon) and light sheet microscopy. Additional expertise in transmission electron microscopy and scanning electron microscopy is desired.
- Exceptional communication skills with ability to work in a diverse customer based fee-for-service environment. Previous personnel managerial experience.
For more information and how to apply: http://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/143745/mil_managing_director