Principal Scientist: In Vivo Scientist Diabetic Nephropathy, Preclinical Research in Drug Discovery
CVMD Bioscience Department
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. AstraZeneca strives to be a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration where employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The successful candidate supports projects with scientific input in the in vivo model strategy and delivers key in vivo data. A broad expertise in whole body physiology and in animal models of Diabetic nephropathy is a requirement of the Scientist. The scientist will play a leading role in the identification and progression of new target opportunities and in the development of new scientific ideas/concepts for Diabetic Nephropathy. Will contribute significantly to the identification of candidate drugs and to the scientific reputation of AZ through peer-reviewed publications and presentations at external meetings. The in vivo Scientist will also contribute to the evaluation of external opportunities in the diabetic nephropathy area and identify key opinion leaders and establish academic collaborations. The successful candidate must be able to collaborate closely and effectively with other PhD scientists and technicians within the team as well as specialists, from a range of disciplines, within project groups .
- Active contribution to the Diabetic Nephropathy strategy and identification of new targets
- Provides technical and theoretical expertise for in vivo experiments and mentorship for less experienced scientists.
- Delivers key in vivo data to project teams by selecting and/or developing appropriate animal models within the agreed timelines and with high quality.
- Identification, exploration and championing novel targets and contribute to establish a project pipeline for diabetic nephropathy.
- Evaluation of external investment opportunities as part of due diligence, including recommendations to the Management.
- Identify and manage external collaborations in the Diabetic Nephropathy area
- Develop a high scientific visibility within the department, the site, AZ and external levels through publications of papers and reviews in international journals.
- Contribute proactively to a vibrant and innovative working environment where improvements and new ideas are adopted and freely shared.
- Documentation of the work according to AstraZeneca standards, and prepare the preclinical pharmacology part of regulatory documents as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively within Bioscience and the iMed to deliver on project key questions and to ensure flow-scheme connectivity and translatability between in vivo and in vitro models.
- PhD or MD Ph.D in renal biology, nephrology or pharmacology with expertise in renal physiology or relevant discipline
- More than 5 years of experience in the area of kidney disease, preferably in Diabetic Nephropathy
- Track record of publications in the area of kidney disease and/or Diabetic Nephropathy
- Experience in the establishment of animal models for kidney disease, preferably in Diabetic Nephropathy
- Established network in the field of kidney diseases
- Experience in pharmaceutical R&D is an advantage
- Strong communication skills
- Experience in managing collaborations
For more information about the position please contact: Anette Ericsson, Department of Bioscience, Mölndal at Anette.E.Ericsson@astrazeneca.com. Email requests will be answered within 10 days.
Closing date for applications - September 15th, 2013.