The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is looking to hire a Public Outreach Manager to oversee the public outreach department, and serve as the staff liaison to the ASBMB Public Outreach Committee.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the Society’s communication training program, which includes running “The Art of Science Communication” online training course.
- Develops new training programs, resources and materials that help prepare ASBMB members to engage with the public.
- Helps organize and puts on outreach-themed events and meetings at locations across the country, including workshops at professional meetings.
- Plans and executes outreach programming at the ASBMB Annual Meeting.
- Identifies and applies for external funding opportunities to support the department’s outreach efforts.
- Works with the ASBMB Education and Professional Development department to run the Student Chapters Outreach Seed Grant program.
- Maintains the ASBMB Public Outreach website.
- Works with the ASBMB Marketing and Communications departments to promote the Society’s outreach programs and activities.
- Engages with other organizations to establish mutually beneficial partnerships on outreach projects.
- Represents the Society at professional meetings, such as the Broader Impacts Summit.
- Organizes a yearly committee business meeting for members of the committee.
Positions may be reassigned and responsibilities may be modified or changed at any time to fulfill organizational requirements.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in science or education required; master’s degree or Ph.D. in a molecular life science field preferred.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience required.
- Must have previous experience organizing, managing and participating in science outreach and public engagement projects.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills; experience with science communication training is preferred.
- Must have excellent project management and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, social media, and web development is required.