Job Title: Scientist/Senior Scientist
Job Code: DRx020-2013
Reports To: Senior Director, Research Biology
Location: South San Francisco, CA
A Scientist/Senior Scientist position is currently open at BioSeek, a division of DiscoveRx for a highly motivated and innovative scientist with strong technical and collaborative skills. The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting scientific research in developing novel primary human cell-based model systems relevant to inflammation and autoimmune disease. The ideal candidate is expected to play a pivotal role in expanding our proprietary BioMAP® platform technology (www.biomapsystems.com) to support our clients programs and pipelines focusing on biologics, immunotherapeutics and anti-inflammatory agents. The candidate should excel in innovative thinking, scientific knowledge and technical expertise in primary human cell culture with enthusiasm for the drug discovery process. As part of the BioSeek R&D team, the successful candidate will work within a team of talented, motivated and dedicated colleagues as well as collaborate with our Pharma and Biotech-based clients across the globe developing successful clinical compounds.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
- Work in collaboration with supervisor and other scientific staff to develop and optimize new primary human cell models in the areas of inflammation, immune cell therapeutics, biologics and autoimmune disease, encompassing technical design and execution of assays, data analysis and reporting, literature reviews and trouble-shooting.
- Lead analysis and interpretation of data, prepare and deliver clear and concise oral and written presentations for senior management and pharmaceutical partners.
- Publication of study results and presentation of findings at multi-disciplinary project team meetings and scientific conferences.
- Work within cross-functional teams to achieve group and company goals within defined timeframes and resources.
- Maintain mastery of relevant and changing scientific literature and incorporate current knowledge and technologies into the BioMAP platform.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate must have strong expertise in primary cell culture, cell biology, biochemical signaling, and analytical skills including in depth knowledge of immune cell biology and therapeutic biologics.
- The successful candidate should have a strong ability to independently design and execute cell-based experiments using a variety of techniques including primary cell culture, immunoassays, immunohistochemistry, flow-cytometry and basic molecular biology techniques.
- Superior presentation, communication and analytical skills with the ability to effectively communicate and collaborate in a global environment, with a diverse range of people and job functions.
- Critical thinking, systematic problem solving skills, and good operative skills in the design and conduct of scientific experiments and interpretation of results.
- Reliability, pro-active, hands-on attitude and the ability to independently implement research projects are another important success factor.
- Candidate should be organized, self-motivated and a team player, consensus builder with a creative mind, able to establish and implement innovative business solutions and concepts.
- Methodical but with a sense of urgency to meet goals on time and within budget.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION REQUIRED:
- Ph.D. in the life sciences, with a minimum of 5 years of postdoctoral experience and experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industries.
- Comprehensive knowledge of human cell-based assay and cell culture techniques, including proficiency and experience with human cancer cell types (epithelial cells and fibroblasts).
- Strong track record in publishing and presenting scientific findings.
- BSL2 laboratory setting
- Potential for exposure to human tissues and fluids
- Able to work flexible schedule