Elsevier is the world's leading provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information, tools and resources. A global company based in Amsterdam, Elsevier partners with scientists, researchers, healthcare providers, educators and decision-makers in academic institutions, governments and corporations to help them find, evaluate and use information. Our breadth of content is unparalleled, spanning virtually every STM field in the world and includes such distinguished brands as Gray's Anatomy, The Lancet and Cell. Using innovative technology, we deliver our content through tools that help our customers be more productive and successful in their work. ScienceDirect delivers the worlds' leading journals electronically to over 11 million readers in 200 countries. And physicians in 95 percent of teaching hospitals rely on MD Consult to get critical information that can save lives. Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
The Strategy Analyst has a critical role as a member of the Global Academic Relations (GAR) team, executing projects for GAR US (executive) vice presidents and other members of the global team (senior-level corporate executives in GAR in the US, Netherlands, UK, Belgium, Japan, Germany, and France), as well as supporting overall GAR strategic planning processes. The Strategy Analyst reports to the US, home-based Vice President for Global Academic & Research Relations and works directly with multiple analytics team members across the company.
Main Activities and Responsibilities:
• Perform analyses and create reports/presentations for (S)VPs to support top-priority strategic issues, e.g. furthering engagement and collaboration with strategic institutions, product market penetration, etc.
• Generate compelling, professional customer-facing analyses and reports that enable a commercial pipeline
• Synthesize research on new trends, opportunities, and developments in (and not limited to): research management, higher education R&D, open access, Triple Helix, social network analysis, etc.
• Own workstreams on both specific business unit projects and projects that touch across business units strategy, e.g., building organizational capabilities, due-diligence for potential acquisitions, product/customer-specific strategy, partnership strategy, sales force optimization, project implementation efforts, etc.
• Initiate strategic deep-dives on R&D themes, geographies, and technologies
• Contribute to business development – provide research and strategic analysis for clients, business deal discussions, due diligence, market opportunity assessment, customer insights
• Liaise with multiple analytic and strategy units to obtain necessary inputs and access to numerous data sets
• Facilitate knowledge sharing across GAR and other business units such as Product Management, Product Marketing, Business Development, Strategy, Operations, Solution services, as well as other internal stakeholders, business partners, and customers
• Support strategic planning - work hand-in-hand with different business units to develop a strategy and long-term view of the Elsevier product portfolio
• Develop strategy plan documents and presentations for senior leaders
• Support for highly strategic customer engagements or accounts, which may including coordinating interviews, capturing meeting communications, scheduling travel and off-site meetings, and managing reimbursements as needed
• Other tasks as assigned
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Superior problem solving and analytical skills with a results-oriented mindset (e.g., ability to deal with ambiguous problems and suggest pragmatic ways to solve them)
• Ability to work independently, but is also a strong team player who collaborates effectively with a wide range of internal and external constituencies
• Highly self-motivated and proactive/takes initiative with strong willingness and drive to engage in continuous learning
• Prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks and simultaneous deadline-driven projects
• Highly computer literate - advanced proficiency in Excel & PowerPoint
• Growing understanding of higher education sector, publishing, media technology, and global R&D landscape
• Master's degree in a quantitative field