Freelance Commentary Editor
mBio® has a position available for a Freelance Commentary Editor to help us grow feature commentary content in the area of microbiology.
mBio®, ASM's first broad-scope, online-only, open access journal, offers streamlined review and publication of the best research in microbiology and allied fields. mBio® publishes high-quality papers in all areas of microbiology and provides a highly visible forum for communicating important advances to a broad readership. Commentaries are short invited articles that discuss mBio® papers or issues of special interest. For more information about the journal, see mbio.asm.org.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief and working closely with the Managing Editor, the Commentary Editor will participate in all editorial aspects of the peer review process for Commentary articles, including manuscript selection, commissioning manuscripts, reviewing and providing scientific feedback to authors of Commentaries, coordinating with graphic artists as needed. This person would also identify areas of developing interest in Microbiology and commission authors to prepare brief Commentaries in these areas.
The Commentary Editor would review all accepted manuscripts to determine if the research is suitable to a commentary and would secure no more than three commentaries a month. The time of work should not exceed 36 hours a month.
Applicants must have a doctorate degree, a strong research background (in any area of microbiology), broad interest in microbiology, commitment to the communication
of scientific ideas, and willingness and ability to learn about new fields of research. This position would be ideal for a senior postdoctoral associate who is interested in transitioning outside of the lab or junior faculty members.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Editor-in-Chief and Central Office staff to identify high-quality original research that is suitable for commentary articles and to identify emerging research areas microbiology.
- Networks and maintains relationships with key scientists/researchers to acquire content and stay abreast of advances in microbiology research.
- Manages the peer-review process and ensures quality and timely handling of Commentary submissions.
- Communicates diplomatically with authors, reviewers, and readers regarding all aspects of Commentary articles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Please send cover letter, CV, and writing samples to Maisha Fleming Miles, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a work-for-hire position. The Commentary Editor is not an American Society for Microbiology staff person.