We seek a postdoctoral researcher with experience in molecular/cellular biology and bioinformatics to work under the direction of Professors Ryan Gutenkunst (http://gutengroup.mcb.arizona.edu) and Guang Yao (http://www.u.arizona.edu/~guangyao). The position is part of a DARPA-funded “Big Mechanism” project to computationally mine the cancer biology literature and extract large-scale causal models of molecular pathways. The successful candidate will collaborate with colleagues in information science by annotating training texts, helping develop natural language processing tools that extract information from these texts, and applying the resulting pathway models to reveal gaps in our understanding of cancer pathways. The candidate will also have ample time to pursue other related cancer bioinformatics projects, developed in consultation with Professors Gutenkunst and Yao, that build upon the interests and strengths of the candidate. Funding is available for up to 3.5 years, renewed yearly pending excellent performance reviews.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of computational tools for mining the cancer biology literature
- Conduct independent bioinformatics research on cancer biology
- Prepare publications and present at scientific meetings
- Participate in group, departmental, and university scientific communities
- PhD in molecular/cellular or cancer biology, bioinformatics, computer science, or a closely related field
- A strong grasp of molecular/cellular or cancer biology
- Experience programming in a scripting language (e.g. Python)
- Strong communication skills, particularly across fields
- Scientific curiosity and self-motivation
- Prior research experience with cancer pathways is a plus
To apply, visit https://www.uacareertrack.com and search for job number 56089. Please submit your CV, a cover letter, and contact information for three references.
For questions, contact Ryan Gutenkunst (email@example.com) and Guang Yao (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information please contact Kate Stuart (email@example.com).