Work with the Director of Life Sciences Conferences to design, develop, and execute the New York Academy of Sciences’ (the Academy) annual portfolio of approximately 15 local, national, and international conferences across the spectrum of Life Sciences. Work as part of a team of multidisciplinary PhD scientists, along with leading academic, industry or government scientists and clinicians from the international scientific and medical community, to conceptualize, develop, and manage unique and cutting-edge conferences. Collaborate with a marketing team, development team, publishing team, and logistics teams to promote, fund, create unique web and print products, and execute the conferences, respectively.
- Track current trends in science, medicine, and technology in order to ensure Academy conferences are timely, unique, and of high impact.
- Nurture close ties with a network of leading organizations, researchers, and institutions in academia, government, and industry.
- Identify and recruit key opinion leaders, collaborating with them to develop outcome-oriented and high-impact programming focused on key scientific questions and critical issues.
- Manage the development and presentation of approximately 5 annual life sciences conferences, from conception through to completion. This includes scientific program development, review and selection of poster presentation, short-talk, and travel fellowship applications based on submitted materials, and production of post-conference reports and educational dissemination materials.
- Work with the Director to develop and adhere to conference budgets. Discuss financial obligations and parameters with partners and supporters.
- Work with the Director and development team to identify sponsorship opportunities and generate financial support for each conference. Maintain relationships with our supporters and cultivate new relationships within the scientific community.
- Write and submit content-driven grant proposals to relevant foundations, academic institutions, corporations, government agencies, and other potential supporters.
- Liaise with ACCME-accredited partners to develop and present Continuing Medical Education-accredited conferences. Monitor and ensure Academy conferences are aligned with ACCME guidelines.
- Assist the Marketing Department in creating a marketing plan(s) for program promotion. Draft scientific copy for marketing collateral.
- Liaise with the publishing staff to ensure timely electronic and/or print dissemination of conference proceedings.
- Work closely with Academy staff across multiple departments to ensure efficient coordination of conference logistics, speaker travel and accommodation, marketing, website, dissemination, and publicity. Create a spreadsheet of these milestones and keep track of progress.
- Other duties as assigned.
PhD in biomedical sciences, with 1–3 years postdoctoral research experience in an academic, industry, scientific publishing, or related setting. Outstanding oral and written communication skills. Experience, ability, and comfort in dealing with complex scientific information beyond own area of expertise. Experience with grant writing and program management a plus. Ability to work with multiple teams across departments and to manage multiple parallel projects with tight deadlines.
The Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking a diverse workforce. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must include a resume, cover letter which includes salary history and/or requirements and a 1–2 page statement discussing specific contributions you can make to the Academy's Life Sciences Conference portfolio.
Full description and application information.