The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) seeks a Project Coordinator to perform writing, data entry and analysis, and support activities as part of the Research and Development (R&D) Budget and Policy Program. Established in 1976, the R&D program strives to be a leading resource for accurate, impartial information on trends in federal science spending. This entry-level position will assist the program director in monitoring all things related to federal funding of science, including the President’s budget request and the appropriations cycle.
The successful applicant will have superior attention to detail, excellent writing ability, and high comfort with Excel. A background in science is helpful but not required, though you should have some familiarity with science policy. Patience, diligence, and willingness to learn are necessities, as is a sense of humor.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Enters, updates, maintains, and analyzes large datasets, and produces charts and graphs based on federal budget data
- Reads and summarizes a large array of government budget reports and documents, including from the agencies and Congress
- Responds to requests for information from a range of stakeholders, including government and Hill offices, and prepares materials as appropriate
- Helps produce the annual AAAS R&D Budget report
- Observes and reports on related Congressional hearings and markups
- Helps conduct background research on science programs and spending trends, domestic and foreign
- Researches, writes, and edits news items and analyses for the website and other communications channels
- Provides some administrative and support functions as necessary
- Extensive university or college-level training leading to a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, including but not limited to political science, public policy, science and engineering, or journalism. Master’s degree a plus
- Demonstrated experience dealing with policy or budget matters in the association, nonprofit, or government sectors. Fellowships and internships are fine
- Demonstrated writing ability
- Excellent ability to work with Excel
AAAS is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.