The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand, based at Helen Joseph Hospital, Johannesburg, is an internationally recognized health research group with a focus on HIV and tuberculosis. HE2RO seeks to build the evidence base to improve the health policies and programs in South Africa and the region. We collaborate on policy relevant research with Boston University, the Clinical HIV Research Unit, and other national and international organizations. For more information visit our website at www.heroza.org.
We seek a dynamic, enthusiastic and self-‐motivated quantitative researcher to be part of our epidemiology research portfolio. Successful applicants will be part of a team of researchers working on cutting edge public health research questions that contribute to the evidence-‐base for improving access to, and delivery of health services for HIV, TB and other health challenges.
The position is based at the head office in Johannesburg, but may require travel within South Africa. Overtime/weekends hours and working in rural areas and/or under-‐resourced circumstances will be required from time to time. This is a full time position.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Contribute to research development, design, and implementation
- Preparing ethics applications for ethic committee review and adhering to ethics guidelines and protocols.
- Data collection and management, including: 1) developing standard operating procedures for data collection; 2) creating data entry databases and working with data capturers to collect high quality data; 3) organising and conducting data monitoring; and 4) creating analytical datasets.
- Analysing research data using standard epidemiologic research methods (e.g. logistic) regression, Cox proportional hazards regression, etc.)
- Working with senior researchers and principal investigators on the development of original research manuscripts and abstracts for publication and presentation.
- Working in an interdisciplinary team environment with other health professionals.
- Masters degree in epidemiology, statistics, public health or related quantitative field.
- Minimum 1 years research experience or comparable professional experience.
- Expertise with data analysis software (e.g. SAS, STATA).
- Self-‐motivated, able to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience in using various research methodological designs.
- Good administrative skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Applicants should email a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. HE2RO will only respond to short listed candidates. The closing date for this position is 28th November 2014. This position will remain open after the closing date if no suitable candidate has been found. Please visit the HE2RO website at www.heroza.org to check whether this position is still vacant and to view other positions. Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications unsuccessful. HE2RO reserves the right not to fill this position should it deem it necessary not to.