Please submit your resume at www.abbottcareers.com. Job Posting# 1500000023 and/or 1500000021
Core Job Responsibilities:
This individual will conceive, plan, design, and conduct advanced studies. He or she will investigate and develop new procedures. He or she will act as independent contributor or lead scientist and will interact/coordinate with other groups and functions on project development and improvement. The
successful candidate must have strong analytical and quantitative skills, strong oral and written communication skills, and a strong track record of independent and collaborative research.
Apply advanced scientific knowledge to projects.
Conceive/design/plan/coordinate advanced independent and collaborative studies required for product development, including feasibility, verification, validation and product launch. Optimize assay conditions,
improve product design and related processes and procedures, and troubleshoot technical issues. Analyze complex data critically by applying advanced computer skills. Develop conclusions based on information from multiple sources. Document experimental results and findings accurately, completely and promptly. Write summaries and reports. Present complex technical findings/conclusions and project status updates to internal or external audiences.
Be responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system. Understand and consistently follow documented procedures. Actively participate in routine maintenance, lab safety.
Prioritize studies and activities to align with project goals and be responsible for timely project completion. Understand both theoretical and practical aspects of assay design and product development.
Provide feedback to others and achieve self-improvement based upon feedback from others. Provide technical and scientific leadership to other team members including providing assistance in study design.
Provide training/coaching to lower level scientists in presentation skills, negotiation skills, decision-making, and contingency planning. Influence decision-making through negotiation, addressing conflict, and by building productive working relationships across functional areas. Maintain a high level of professional expertise by staying current with scientific and industry literature, technologies and products. Develop and maintain internal and external customer contacts to maintain technical knowledge as required to accomplish objectives.
Minimum Education: Ph.D. in a life or physical science with 2+ years in research or industrial
experience preferred; or M.S. or B.S. degree with experience sufficient to demonstrate equivalency.
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• In-depth knowledge and expertise in developing molecular assays or methods, including real-time PCR, sequencing, or others.
• Skill in optimizing assay design and conditions, including DOE optimization where appropriate.
• Proficiency in technical writing for data summary and technical reports. Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets,instrumentation-related and company network systems.
• Willing to take on new and challenging assignments and to implement new ideas or alternative solutions. Take thoughtful and timely action when confronted with a problem.
• Capable of adjusting to dynamic working environment and changing priorities, and of ensuring timely completion of assigned tasks.
• Knowledge of nucleic acid extraction chemistry and automated sample preparation protocol development.
• Experience with state of the art molecular instrumentation. Experience with integrating assay chemistry with automated instrumentation
• Expertise in design and optimization of multiplex PCR diagnostic tests
• Advanced skills in statistical analysis.
• Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.