The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand, based at Helen Joseph Hospital, Johannesburg, is an internationally recognized health research group with a focus on HIV and tuberculosis. HE2RO seeks to build the evidence base to improve health policies and programs in South Africa and the region. We collaborate on policy relevant research with Boston University, the Clinical HIV Research Unit, and other national and international organizations. For additional information visit our website at www.heroza.org.
We seek a dynamic, enthusiastic and self-‐motivated quantitative senior researcher to be part of our epidemiology research portfolio. Successful applicants will develop and lead studies and analyze and publish data from research projects on cutting edge public health research questions that contribute to the evidence-‐base for improving access to and delivery of health services for HIV, TB, and other public health challenges.
The position is based at the head office in Johannesburg. National and international travel will be required from time to time. Overtime/weekend hours and working in rural areas and/or under-‐ resourced circumstances will be required from time to time.
- Write research and funding proposals and obtain research funding.
- Implement and oversee all aspects of research projects including: 1) developing important policy relevant questions; 2) obtaining ethical approval; 3) writing research protocols and SOPs; 4) developing and designing research tools; 5) coordinating fieldwork (data collection, interviews etc.); 6) monitoring study progress; 7) writing progress reports to stakeholders including networks and funders; 8) training research staff; 9) conducting data analysis and writing up results.
- Present scientific findings at research conferences and publish in peer-‐reviewed journals as well as disseminate research findings to universities and others stakeholders such the community, funders and media.
- Perform other tasks and contribute to organizational management as needed.
- Supervise junior research staff and study teams.
- Doctoral or masters degree in epidemiology, statistics, or related quantitative field.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years research experience or comparable professional experience.
- Experience implementing independent projects and managing study staff.
- Expertise with data analysis software.
- Demonstrated writing and communication skills.
- Self-‐motivated, able to work independently and work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Applicants should email a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. HE2RO will only respond to short listed candidates. The closing date for this position is 28th November 2014. This position will remain open after the closing date if no suitable candidate has been found. Please visit the HE2RO website at www.heroza.org to check whether this position is still vacant and to view other positions. Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications unsuccessful. HE2RO reserves the right not to fill this position should it deem it necessary not to.