Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, operates the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, sponsored by the National Cancer Institute. Our focus is on basic and applied science in cancer and AIDS. We maintain an integrated suite of advanced technologies backed by scientific expertise in areas such as genetics, genomics, protein science, proteomics, bioinformatics, high-performance biomedical computing, and nanotechnology. We develop new technologies to support cutting-edge science, and we develop and manufacture clinical-grade pharmaceuticals for first-in-human trials.
For more information about Leidos Biomedical Research Inc., please visit our webpage at www.leidosbiomed.com
The AIDS and Cancer Virus Program (ACVP), Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc., pursues multidisciplinary research programs in basic and applied molecular virology, viral immunology, and retroviral pathogenesis
We are looking for a team player to play a key role in high profile, high impact scientific collaborations, with the ability to thrive in a dynamic, demanding collaborative environment that requires close attention to detail while maintaining high data quality in the face of laboratory throughput requirements and deadlines. The Senior Scientist will be responsible for the operation of research support cores providing a range of critical nucleic acid based quantitative virological and sequence based viral analyses in support of high profile AIDS related studies in nonhuman primate models and clinical protocols. This position will work with the Program Director to provide overall scientific and technical direction for cores, including oversight of daily ongoing operations and staff, assessment, development, evaluation and implementation of new assays and technologies. The Senior Scientist will communicate/coordinate with a variety of internal and external collaborators and be responsible for prioritization of specimen sets and analysis queue.
- Possession of a Doctoral degree from an accredited college or university in molecular biology, virology or related discipline.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- In addition to educational requirements, a minimum of five (5) years post-graduate experience of competent, innovative research in a field of specialty.
- The successful candidate will have a broad and solid background in molecular biology or molecular virology and nucleic acid amplification technology, extensive hands on experience with the development, optimization, validation, quality control, application and troubleshooting of quantitative PCR/quantitative RT PCR format assays, RNAseq/microarrays.
- Strong background in statistical methods and prior experience as an effective manager and supervisor is also required.
- This position is subject to obtaining a Public Trust Clearance.
- Experience with nucleic acid sequencing in a support role, including next generation sequencing technologies a plus, as well as prior successful experience heading a research support core in academia or industry.
Leidos Overview:Leidos is an applied solutions company focused on markets that are seeing converging business and technological trends, and address basic, enduring human needs: defense and national security, health and life sciences, and energy, engineering and infrastructure. The Company's approximately 20,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and commercial health and engineering markets.
Senior Scientist 610334 (NCI) (Job Number:610334). Apply on company website
Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.