The Yale Ciencia Academy is a FREE year-long (January - December) program to provide graduate students with opportunities for mentoring, peer support and networking; to develop skills important for career advancement; and to contribute to their communities through science outreach.
YCA complements graduate training by connecting PhD, MD/PhD, or PsyD students conducting biological, biomedical or behavioral sciences research with a network of diverse mentors, professional contacts, and role models who can help expand their opportunities for mentoring, peer support, networking, outreach, and professional growth and advancement. Students from other fields are encouraged to apply, provided their work could be of interest to NIH. The YCA program leverages CienciaPR, a large and diverse Latino/Hispanic scientific network.
Key features of the program include:
- Virtual chats with diverse role models and mentors who will discuss topics such as careers within and outside of academia, getting funded, securing a postdoc, getting published, time and project management, and work-life balance.
- Supportive discussions with peers, moderated by experts, on inter-personal issues (mentoring challenges, impostor syndrome, the importance of community, etc.).
- Online and in-person workshops for the development of non-research skills such as: effective scientific and professional communication, professional goal setting and networking, mentoring, and scientific teaching.
- An annual in-person YCA meeting (with travel, hotel, and registration fees paid) to take place during the AAAS Annual Meeting in February in Austin, TX, to extend opportunities for networking and professional development.
- The opportunity for participants to impact their communities and exercise leadership and communication skills through science outreach activities like the publication of popular science articles, podcasts, or visits to local schools.
- Additional advice on their IDPs
The program runs from January to December 2018 and the deadline to apply has recently been extended to Friday, November 17. Application requirements, selection criteria, FAQs, and the application form can be accessed via this link: http://www.cienciapr.org/yca. Questions can be directed to the YCA team at email@example.com.
For more information check out the program flyer or their recent post discussing what to expect from the 2018 program.