All CDB Equipment Resource reservation calendars are located on the Office of Research’s VU-Core Ordering & Reporting Enterprise System (VU-C.O.R.E.S.) as of January 7, 2016. Any VUMC cores are located on the (VUMC-C.O.R.E.S.) website.
The VU-C.O.R.E.S. reservation system allows any resource user the opportunity to check for equipment availability without leaving the lab.
Unless noted, the following equipment have mandatory reservation calendars located on the C.O.R.E.S. website:
- Leica Confocal (Primary & Joint Faculty Labs Only) - Sakura Cryostat
- EVOS FL Microscope (optional) - Incubator Shakers
- LAS4000 CCD Imager (optional) - Ultracentrifuges
- qPCR Thermocyclers - Veriti Thermocycler
- Bio-Tek Synergy HT Platereader (optional)
All personnel using this equipment will need to request access to the VU-C.O.R.E.S. website BEFORE you can make a reservation. If you already have access, then no additional steps are needed except for the confocal users.
Leica Confocal users will need to be setup as “Approved Users” for these instruments. Please email the Equipment Manager once your VU-C.O.R.E.S. Access Request is complete so you can be added to the system. New confocal user will not be able to access the calendar until this step is finished.
Instructions for C.O.R.E.S. Access Request
1.Go to the VU-CORES website at this link: https://cores-vu.mis.vanderbilt.edu/login.cfm
2.At the bottom left, click on the link that says, “More Information”
3.On the right side of the page, click on the link that says, “New CORES User Account Request Form”
4.Sign-in with your VUNET ID and password
5.Fill out the requested information.
6. In the comments section, be sure to advise the Office of Research your PI's name and which center numbers your PI wants you to have available to bill.
*NOTE: For your “Access Role”, select “Resource User”
*NOTE: You will need your employee or student ID number. You can get this by signing in to the C2HR website. Your ID number is under your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
It will take up to 48 hours after the above steps are completed before you are uploaded into the system.
Making a Reservation in VU-C.O.R.E.S. for CDB Equipment
1. Once you are setup in the VU-CORES system, go to the VU-CORES website using the same link you used to sign-up and login: https://cores-vu.mis.vanderbilt.edu/login.cfm
2. Under the “General” options links, click on “Reserve Core Device” & select CDB
3. Select the box by the instrument you need and click “View Calendar”
4. Finally, start your reservation by clicking on an available time…
…finish by filling out the requested information.
(a) Select the appropriate center number to charge (if a chargeable device
(b) Select Start/Stop times
(c) Add important comments to the reservation. For example, add the type of rotor your will be using in an ultra- or high-speed centrifugation run. We have duplicate centrifuges available so that there is scheduling flexibility. Letting someone know which rotor you will be using prevents users from trying to use the same one at the same time.
Instructions for PIs and Lab Managers
When a member of your lab obtains VU-C.O.R.E.S. access, you receive a confirmation email. Depending on the information they provided in their request, they may or may not have access to your available centers. If you want to add/change/restrict what centers are assigned to them, then you need to take additional steps below. These changes in center designation must be initiated by the PI or their assigned Lab Manager who is responsible for the centers.
1. From the VU-CORES Main Menu, select Maintenance Menu, then Resource User Maintenance.
2. A list of Resource Users currently associated to the PI will display. The right column shows the center or scholarship numbers currently assigned to each Resource User. Click on the Resource User’s name to edit their available center/scholarship numbers.
3. Designate the centers available to that Resource User by checking/unchecking the boxes on the left.
4. Click Update at the bottom of the page.
VU-C.O.R.E.S. Reservation Billing
Some of the calendars are setup for equipment that DO NOT have a charge associated with them (i.e., incubator shakers, EVOS, and cryostat).
For those pieces of equipment that DO have a charge, the VU-C.O.R.E.S. system allows these reservations to come through as “pending charges”.
Pending charges get released by the CDB Core's Equipment Manager to be billed to the center which the user selected on the reservation.
Problems or More Information
For additional VU-C.O.R.E.S. information, use the link:
For the official C.O.R.E.S. reservation manual, use:
For the CDB Equipment Resource Core's FAQ on the C.O.R.E.S. Reservation & Billing system, use:
If you have any problems, please contact the Equipment Manager.