*Note: This information was received from Jean Lomax in the summer of 2013 to help guide our labs during the many lab moves we were experiencing.
UNASSISTED OFFICE & LAB MOVES
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What should I know about moving from one building to another?
- Special routes & access can be discussed with Plant Services and the Departmental Administration
of areas which may be affected by the move traffic.
- In order to coordinate route access through MCN, VUH, and TVC, especially through patient care
areas, the Move Captain may contact VUMC Plant Services.
- It is important to contact the Administrators of patient care areas where movers will need access to
complete the move.
Plant Services: 3‐4443
How do I get my space cleaned?
To request a trash cart or cleaning of an area that you are moving into or out of call Environmental Services or
Facilities and Operations. There is normally no charge for cleaning Hospital, Clinic, and SOM areas. Special
requests to clean after construction may result in additional cost. This can be coordinated with
Environmental Services or Facilities and Operations. All items must be removed on the day of the move
or tagged for surplus. Floors must be cleared of all papers or other unwanted, unused, or discarded
items and ready for the next user.
Facilities & Operations ‐ 818‐4199 ‐ For MAB, Oxford House, all Clinic & Hospital Are
Environmental Services ‐ 2‐6107 ‐ For PRB, RRB, LH, MRB III, MRBIV, MCN
Who do I contact about data port activation?
- It is the department’s responsibility to have the data ports activated. The IT professional assigned to
the department needs to submit a request to NCS to have the data ports activated. This request should
be made at least 1 month prior to the move or as soon as possible. NOTE: Please provide a floor plan
indicating location of data ports.
- Federal Law requires all computers be disposed of as hazardous waste due to heavy metals. This
includes monitors, hard drives, scanners, and keyboards. Contact your IT professional to wipe the
memory of your hard drive(s). A Plant Services Work Order is required for computers parts be picked
up as surplus.
What do I do about new furniture or existing furniture to be moved?
Assess the area into which you are moving
- Where will you place your large equipment and furnishings?
- Are electrical, phone, and data outlets where you need them?
- If you have a secured document destruction service (e.g. Cintas) contact them to move the
- Removal of toner cartridges is required to avoid spillage of toner within unit.
- Advise movers to be aware of orientation of certain office equipment while moving.
- Leased copiers should be moved by the vendor.
- The Apparatus Shop can disassemble and re‐assemble some modular furniture units.
- Sometimes the vendor who provided the furniture may need to install the furniture. If you are
unsure of which vendor to contact, Procurement Services can provide assistance. Cost estimates
should be obtained at the time that the scope and schedule for installation are discussed.
- It is important to plan where modular furniture will go so that electrical and data ports will not be
- VUMC Capital Equipment is tagged and must be tracked when it is relocated.
- The department that moves will be responsible for reporting Fixed Asset activity.
- Transfer and disposal of this equipment MUST be reported.
- Click HERE for instructions for CDB Labs.
How do I change my mail service?
Your department administrator will be responsible for notifying the post office of your address change.
What type of moving assistance is available?
- Requests for in house moves can be sent to VUMC Storage & Services through the work order system
or to Alexander’s Mobility – Contact Greg Hicks at (615) 512‐3640.
- Indicate if any items require disassembly prior to moving when you make your initial inquiry.
- If packing assistance is needed an “outside mover” will be necessary.
- The Logistics Planner (2‐4805) with Space & Facilities Planning can provide assistance with engaging an
- A department contact and a representative from the moving firm or VUMC Storage & Services should
evaluate the scope of the move a least 1 or 2 weeks in advance.
How do I prepare furniture & equipment for moving?
List and Diagram
- It is helpful to have a plan of the current and new space, as well as a list of furniture and equipment
to be moved.
- Assign IDs to furniture and equipment and put up signs with matching IDs to identify where
furniture and equipment will be placed.
- A floor plan with the room numbers showing where the furniture is to be delivered should be
available to movers.
- Make sure you measure all equipment carefully, check data ports, outlets, and voltage needed.
- If you use an outside moving company they can provide packing tape, boxes, and labels at least one
week prior to the move.
- Labels should be placed on equipment, furniture, and boxes.
- The floor plan should also include the layout of the furniture and equipment.
- Please make movers aware of any special requirements.
- Determine if equipment must be brought into a room in specific order.
How do I dispose of unwanted equipment not being moved to new location?
Capital Equipment (Fixed Assets)
- This should be used to transmit equipment with asset tags or to document the transfer of
- Some equipment and furnishings may be transferred to another department.
- Procurement can provide additional information on this process.
All Other Items
- Furniture or equipment to be disposed of may be picked up by VU Storage and Services through
the work order system.
- Equipment with machine oil or coolant must be transmitted to Apparatus shop to be drained, prior
- The department that is moving will need to pay the charge for these services.
Apparatus Shop ‐ 2‐2269
VUMC Storage & Services ‐ 6‐4626
How do I transfer or change phone service?
Request for changes in Telephone or Fax service is submitted to ITS through eProcurement.
- This includes requests for new equipment, phone, and fax services.
NOTE: A floor plan indicating location of phones lines in new spaces is required.
- The account number used for ITS phone services (add/moves) is 61350.
- If the department that pays for monthly phone charges is not paying for the installation, please
indicate the center number being used to pay for installation is for “labor only.”
- Sometimes it is necessary to pull new cable and install new phone ports in order to initiate phone
service. ITS does not pull the cable. A request for new ports and cable needs to be made on a Plant
Services work order.
Essential Names & Phone Numbers
Jean Lomax, office: 322‐4805, cell: 300‐2373 firstname.lastname@example.org
Doug Kinsey 322‐2009 Terry Ralph 343‐8442
Contact ITS and use eProcurement to move or add phones.
Plumbing & Electrical Connects or Disconnects
Contact Plant Services and use a Plant Services “Work Order” to request plumbing services (gas, air, vac, water for equipment, ice makers), to install or change electrical outlets, or to move wallboards or distilled water systems. You may request an estimate of charges, if time allows. Use the 24 hour number for urgent needs.
- Plant Services 343‐4443
- Request for Repairs (24 hr) 322‐2041
Contact your IT staff/LAN Mgr. directly to schedule computer moves and verify data port activation.
Please notify the Post Office as early as possible, about 6 weeks before your move is preferable, with name and location
change information. The post office requires this information be submitted online. For more detailed information, you may
call 322‐8761 or visit http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/copypost/hints.htm.
VUMC Apparatus Shop can provide limited moving services. The Apparatus Shop accepts 1180s and usually schedules moves
on Mon., Tue., and Wed. They will not provide packing supplies or packing services. Apparatus Shop 322‐2669
For more extensive moves that may exceed the scope provided in house moving contact Greg Hicks at Alexander’s Mobility.
They will provide an estimate, packing supplies, packing, and moving services. Alexander’s Mobility 512‐3640
Storage and Surplus Disposal
For storage or surplus disposal submit a work order for Moving and Storage Services. If your request requires disassembly
prior to moving additional coordination may be required. Moving and Storage Services 936‐4626
Federal Law requires all computers be disposed of as hazardous waste due to heavy metals, etc. This includes monitors, hard drives, scanners, keyboards. Contact your department IT/LAN Mgr. to prepare your computer for disposal.
Cleaning Services Contact Environmental Services for trash carts or cleaning of the area you are vacating or occupying. There is no charge for School of Medicine departments. Environmental Services 322‐6107 or for MAB, OH, Hospitals & Clinics 343‐1000
Capital Equipment Relocation
VU Capital Equipment is tagged and must be tracked when it is relocated. Departments will be responsible for reporting
“Fixed Asset Activity”. Transfer and disposal of this equipment must be reported. Equipment Inventory 322‐4882
Campus Traffic and Parking 322‐2554
Medical Center Parking and Transportation Services 936‐1215
If your entire medical center department is relocating please contact Bethany Rosen.
Lab Related Health and Safety Issues
For any issues concerning BSCs, Freezers, Lab Equipment contact Vanderbilt Environmental Health and Safety 322‐2057
Unassisted Office Move Checklist
Keys ‐ Submit Key Requisition (and work order as needed) to Plant Services.
Phones ‐ Submit eProcurement requisition at least 3 weeks prior to move.
Mail ‐ Submit and verify change in mailing address on‐line.
Visit http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/copypost/hints.htm for details.
Letterhead and Business Cards ‐ Do you need to order new ones?
Notify - vendors, UPS, Fed Ex, journal subscriptions, etc. of change of address.
Electrical Outlets – Contact Electrical Shop in Plant Services to review outlet needs. Submit work order if
Wall boards, coat racks – Submit wok order for these items to be moved 2‐3 weeks prior to move.
Computers –Your department should contact your LAN Manager/IT professional to schedule computer
moves. Your office is responsible for unplugging all computers from walls. Be sure to label each piece.
Packing Boxes and Supplies – Departments must supply packing materials unless they are provided by an
outside moving company.
Storage – Contact VUMC Moving and Storage. Stored by cost center. Submit work order for pick up.
Surplus ‐ Contact VUMC Moving and Storage. Submit work order for pick up.
Large Copiers – The department administrator should schedule the move with the service company if the
copier is leased from outside vendor.
Cleaning –Contact Environmental Services one day after your move to clean your old space.
Secure Document Destruction boxes – The department administrator will notify the company to move or
movers can move it. Make sure your vendor knows your new pick‐up location.
Equipment –VUMC Capital Equipment is tagged and must be tracked when it is relocated. Departments will
be responsible for reporting Fixed Asset Activity.