Cell Cycle Control, pre-mRNA splicing.
Proper coordination of nuclear and cell division is necessary for the normal development of all eukaryotic organisms and for the maintenance of genomic integrity. The goals of my laboratory are two-fold: 1) to understand the molecular mechanisms regulating cytokinesis and 2) to learn how cytokinesis is coordinated with other events of the cell cycle including chromosome segregation and microtubule cytoskeletal rearrangements. We are asking a) what is the full complement of proteins that comprise the cytokinetic machinery, b) how is the cytokinetic machinery precisely localized between segregating chromosomes, c) what molecular event(s) triggers constriction of the cytokinetic machinery, and d) what ensures the correct timing of cytokinesis with respect to chromosome segregation?
To address these questions expeditiously, we are using yeast as a model organism.
Yeast offers many experimental advantages for the study of cell cycle regulation including facile genetics and a fully sequenced and annotated genome. Using genetics, proteomics, live cell imaging, biochemistry, and structural biology we are unraveling the sequence of events that directs formation and then constriction of the cytokinetic ring. We are also studying protein phosphorylation signaling pathways and ubiquitin ligases that control the spatial precision of cytokinesis, the organization of the microtubule cytoskeleton through the cell cycle, and the timing of cytokinetic events during mitosis.
Postdoctoral Positions Available
Yes, please see lab website.
- McLean JR, Chaix D, Ohi MD, Gould KL. State of the APC/C: organization, function, and structure. Critical reviews in biochemistry and molecular biology. 2011 Apr;46(2). 118-36. PMID: 21261459 [PubMed].
- McLean JR, Kouranti I, Gould KL. Survey of the phosphorylation status of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe deubiquitinating enzyme (DUB) family. Journal of proteome research. 2011 Mar 4;10(3). 1208-15. PMID: 21182284 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC3049645.
- Převorovský M, Atkinson SR, Ptáčková M, McLean JR, Gould K, Folk P, Půta F, Bähler J. N-termini of fungal CSL transcription factors are disordered, enriched in regulatory motifs and inhibit DNA binding in fission yeast. PloS one. 6(8). e23650. PMID: 21858190 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC3155561.
- Ren L, McLean JR, Hazbun TR, Fields S, Vander Kooi C, Ohi MD, Gould KL. Systematic two-hybrid and comparative proteomic analyses reveal novel yeast pre-mRNA splicing factors connected to Prp19. PloS one. 6(2). e16719. PMID: 21386897 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC3046128.
- Kouranti I, McLean JR, Feoktistova A, Liang P, Johnson AE, Roberts-Galbraith RH, Gould KL. A global census of fission yeast deubiquitinating enzyme localization and interaction networks reveals distinct compartmentalization profiles and overlapping functions in endocytosis and polarity. PLoS biology. 8(9). PMID: 20838651 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC2935449.