NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2018-19 ACADEMIC YEAR ARE NOW CLOSED.
The International Visiting Student program is designed for international medical students who personally know a Vanderbilt University clinical faculty member who will nominate them for rotation. Please complete the form to nominate an international medical student for a rotation at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. After nomination, students who are selected will be required to complete an application form.
(Please note: contacting Vanderbilt faculty in hopes of securing a nomination is not appropriate.)
In addition, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine has a reciprocal relationship with four institutions and accepts nominations from the following medical school Deans:
- Karolinska Institute, Sweden
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
- University of Melbourne, Australia
Students at these institutions who are nominated by their faculty may submit applications for up to three (3) months of elective rotations at Vanderbilt.
- International students may only rotate November through April.
- Each student may take up to three (3) rotations.
- There must be a signed affiliation agreement between the visiting student’s institution and Vanderbilt.
- Rotations must adhere to Vanderbilt University School of Medicine’s academic calendar.
- Cost is $250 for registration plus $750 per elective.
- International visiting students must be full-time students in their final year of medical school.
- Students must attend an Orientation on the first morning of their rotation.
Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate international medical students who neither a) attend one of the 4 institutions above nor b) have an established relationship with one of Vanderbilt’s clinical faculty members. Again, randomly contacting Vanderbilt faculty in hopes of securing a nomination is not appropriate. Please, no phone calls.
If you have more questions on the program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a prospective student has been nominated by their institution or by a Vanderbilt faculty member, an application should be initiated 60-90 days prior to the student’s arrival in order to complete necessary paperwork.
The following documentation is required:
- Letter of Good Standing from your home institution
- Letter of Recommendation from a clinical faculty member at your institution
- Official Transcript, translated into English
- Proof of immunizations / immunization record
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Proof of Malpractice Coverage
(Suggested resources, if your school does not provide malpractice coverage, are Academic Medical Professionals Risk Retention Group or Proliability Lliability Insurance. No specific amount is required, although $1,000,000 per incident or $3,000,000 aggregate are standard amounts.)
- Current Criminal Background Check
(One resource, if your school does not provide a criminal background check, is Certiphi.)
- Copy of passport
TOEFL Exam Scores: Vanderbilt requires a minimum score of 570 PBT or 100 IBT. TOEFL Exam may be waived if student has been taught in English.
In addition, your VISA must be in order for you to enter the United States, and you must go online and complete your Business Visitor Questionnaire. This Questionnaire will begin your process in obtaining the paperwork for your VISA. Please complete this form even if you do not require assistance in obtaining a VISA.