Skip to main content

Financial Aid Information for Prospective M.D. Students

There is not an application process for the awarding of merit-based scholarships. The Admissions Office will consider all admitted applicants for merit scholarships. If awarded a merit scholarship, you will receive the same amount for each of four years of study toward the M.D. degree at Vanderbilt.

Applying for Financial Aid

Only two applications are required to be considered for need-based institutional scholarships and federal aid – the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS PROFILE.  There are no financial aid application deadlines for entering students.  Do not send copies of tax returns or W-2’s unless requested to do so.

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine participates in the Federal Direct Student Loan Program which offers low-fixed rate loans. First, you must sign up online for your Federal Student Aid ID. The FSA ID allows you to electronically sign your application and make updates later if necessary. Complete the FAFSA at Vanderbilt’s school code is 003535 for all programs. Provide student (and spouse’s) information; you do not have to include parental data on the FAFSA. After you have submitted the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR); please keep this for your records. You must meet the following general eligibility requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Not be in default on any Federal educational loan
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress

To be considered for a need-based institutional scholarship you must complete the CSS PROFILE at (code 0670) and include parental financial data. Parental information will be used to determine eligibility, regardless of age or change in marital status. This policy ensures that funds are distributed in the most equitable manner to those students with the greatest real need.

Financial Aid Awards will be mailed in early April. Learn more on the definitions of federal loans and institutional aid.

International Students

International students should complete the CSS PROFILE and include parental data to be considered for need-based institutional funding.  Report your family’s financial information in the currency of your home country. Private loans are available to international students, but most lenders require a creditworthy U.S. cosigner.  Your financial aid award will include a “Private Alternative Loan” which is a place holder until you select a lender.