Health Economics, Health Care Spending, Medicare, Medicaid, Payment Reform, Insurance
Melinda Buntin, Ph.D. is the chair of the Department of Health Policy at Vanderbilt University’s School of Medicine. She previously served as Deputy Assistant Director for Health at the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), where she was responsible for managing and directing studies of health care and health care financing issues in the Health, Retirement, and Long-term analysis Division.
Prior to joining CBO, Dr. Buntin worked at the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT, where she established and directed the economic analysis, evaluation, and modeling group, while on leave from RAND. At RAND, Dr. Buntin served as deputy director of RAND Health’s Economics, Financing, and Organization Program, director of Public Sector Initiatives for RAND Health, and co-director of the Bing Center for Health Economics. Her research at RAND focused on insurance benefit design, health insurance markets, provider payment, and the care use and needs of the elderly.
She has an A.B. from the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton and a Ph.D. in Health Policy with a concentration in economics from Harvard University.
- Resnick MJ, Graves AJ, Buntin MB, Richards MR, Penson DF. Surgeon Participation in Early Accountable Care Organizations. Annals of surgery. 2017 Mar 23. PMID: 28338515 [PubMed].
- Buntin MB, Ayanian JZ. Social Risk Factors and Equity in Medicare Payment. The New England journal of medicine. 2017 Feb 9;376(6). 507-510. PMID: 28177864 [PubMed].
- Patrick SW, Fry CE, Jones TF, Buntin MB. Implementation Of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs Associated With Reductions In Opioid-Related Death Rates. Health affairs (Project Hope). 2016 Jun 22. PMID: 27335101 [PubMed].
- Resnick MJ, Graves AJ, Reynolds WS, Barocas DA, Van Horn RL, Buntin MB, Penson DF. Anticipating the Unintended Consequences of Closing the Door on Physician Self-Referral. The Journal of urology. 2016 Feb 12. PMID: 26880415 [PubMed].
- Jacobs PD, Buntin MB. Determinants of Medicare plan choices: are beneficiaries more influenced by premiums or benefits? The American journal of managed care. 2015 Jul;21(7). 498-504. PMID: 26247740 [PubMed].
- Friedman C, Rubin J, Brown J, Buntin M, Corn M, Etheredge L, Gunter C, Musen M, Platt R, Stead W, Sullivan K, Van Houweling D. Toward a science of learning systems: a research agenda for the high-functioning Learning Health System. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association : JAMIA. 2015 Jan;22(1). 43-50. PMID: 25342177 [PubMed].
- King J, Furukawa MF, Buntin MB. Geographic variation in ambulatory electronic health record adoption: implications for underserved communities. Health services research. 2013 Dec;48(6 Pt 1). 2037-59. PMID: 23800087 [PubMed].
- Patel V, Jamoom E, Hsiao CJ, Furukawa MF, Buntin M. Variation in electronic health record adoption and readiness for meaningful use: 2008-2011. Journal of general internal medicine. 2013 Jul;28(7). 957-64. PMID: 23371416 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC3682025.
- Blavin FE, Buntin MB. Forecasting the use of electronic health records: an expert opinion approach. Medicare & medicaid research review. 3(2). PMID: 24753964 [PubMed]. PMCID: PMC3983723.
- Rao S, Brammer C, McKethan A, Buntin MB. Health information technology: transforming chronic disease management and care transitions. Primary care. 2012 Jun;39(2). 327-44. PMID: 22608869 [PubMed].
- Jha AK, Burke MF, DesRoches C, Joshi MS, Kralovec PD, Campbell EG, Buntin MB. Progress toward meaningful use: hospitals' adoption of electronic health records. The American journal of managed care. 2011 Dec;17(12 Spec No.). SP117-24. PMID: 22216770 [PubMed].
- Bruen BK, Ku L, Burke MF, Buntin MB. More than four in five office-based physicians could qualify for federal electronic health record incentives. Health affairs (Project Hope). 2011 Mar;30(3). 472-80. PMID: 21383366 [PubMed].
- Buntin MB, Burke MF, Hoaglin MC, Blumenthal D. The benefits of health information technology: a review of the recent literature shows predominantly positive results. Health affairs (Project Hope). 2011 Mar;30(3). 464-71. PMID: 21383365 [PubMed].
- Blavin FE, Buntin MJ, Friedman CP. Alternative measures of electronic health record adoption among hospitals. The American journal of managed care. 2010 Dec;16(12 Suppl HIT). e293-301. PMID: 21322296 [PubMed].
- Maxson ER, Buntin MJ, Mostashari F. Using electronic prescribing transaction data to estimate electronic health record adoption. The American journal of managed care. 2010 Dec;16(12 Suppl HIT). e320-6. PMID: 21322303 [PubMed].