Kristen Eckstrand, PhD, Codirector
Kristen Eckstrand, PhD is a sixth-year MD, PhD student at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine with a PhD in Neuroscience. She initiated and leads LGBTI curriculum reform at VUMC and currently oversees medical-center wide LGBTI quality improvement efforts through Vanderbilt’s LGBTI Leadership Committee and Cultural/Linguistics Council. In addition to her work at Vanderbilt, Dr. Eckstrand chairs the Association of American Medical College LGBT Patient Care Advisory Committee. Her efforts at Vanderbilt were recognized in October 2011 when she received the university’s annual Levi Watkins Jr. Student Award for her commitment to diversity, and again in 2013 when she received the distinguished American Medical Association Excellence in Medicine Leadership Award as well as the AMSA/GLMA Medical Student Award in LGBT Leadership. Dr. Eckstrand has presented Vanderbilt’s curriculum work at numerous national conferences, including plenary talks at the 2011 AAMC National Conference and the 2013 Gay and Lesbian Medical Association Annual Conference. Dr. Eckstrand's curriculum innovations in LGBTI health have been published in MedEdPORTAL and has additionally authored numerous publications in high-impact journals. Dr. Eckstrand lectures on LGBTI health in across Vanderbilt University. She hopes to continue to engage in curricular innovations and teaching, particularly to further women’s and LGBTI health.
Jesse Ehrenfeld, MD, MPH, Codirector
Jesse Ehrenfeld, MD, MPH, is a board-certified anesthesiologist with an extensive background in clinical research, advocacy, and healthcare policy. For the past decade, he has advocated on behalf of LGBTI patients, students, and trainees in his role as Chair of the Massachusetts Committee on LGBT Health, Chair of the Massachusetts General Hospital LGBT Employee Resource Group, a member of the Board Committee on Quality at Fenway Community Health Center, and a member of the Association of American Medical College’s LGBTI Liaison Group. He now co-leads the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program for LGBTI Health. An associate professor in the Departments of Anesthesiology and Biomedical Informatics, Dr. Ehrenfeld also serves as Director of the Center for Evidence-Based Anesthesia, Director of the Perioperative Data Systems Research Group, and Medical Director for Perioperative Quality. Dr. Ehrenfeld’s research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation (APSF), and the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER). His work has led to the presentation of more than 80 abstracts at national/international meetings and the publication of dozens of manuscripts in high-impact journals. He has co-authored ten clinical textbooks. Dr. Ehrenfeld holds a master of public health degree from the Harvard School of Public Health, and a doctor of medicine from the University of Chicago. He completed residency and served as informatics fellowship director for the Department of Anesthesiology at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Dr. Ehrenfeld has received numerous teaching awards and serves on several distinguished national committees, including the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Standards & Practice Parameters Committee, the New England Journal of Medicine Publications Committee, and the American Medical Association (AMA) Public Health Committee. Dr. Ehrenfeld, a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy, also serves as a medical reserve officer.
Selected Publications / Presentations
- Eckstrand, KL, Ehrenfeld, JM, co-editors. "LGBTI Healthcare: A Clinical Guide to Prevention, Primary, and Specialist Care." (2014)Springer: New York, NY. <in press>
- Eckstrand KL, Sullivan WM, Rush C, Peebles K, Lomis KD, Fleming A. "An Intervention for Clinical Medical Students on LGBTI Health." MedEdPORTAL. 2013. Accessible at: https://www.mededportal.org/publication/9349.
- Eckstrand KL, Ehrenfeld JM. An institution-wide approach to improving LGBTI health. Gay and Lesbian Medical Association 31st Annual Conference. Denver, CO. September 18-21, 2013.
- Peebles K, Eckstrand KL, Ehrenfeld JM. Presentation: "Using electronic medical records to determine preventative health disparities among transgender patients." Gay and Lesbian Medical Association 31st Annual Conference. Denver, CO. September 18-21, 2013.
- Ehrenfeld, JM. Presentation: "FOCUS: A Discussion About LGBTI Health Issues" (Invited Lecture), Meharry Medical College, Nashville TN. November 2012.
- Ehrenfeld, JM, Daniels, T, Eckstrand, KL. Presentation: “Creation of an LGBTI Competent Provider Directory,” Gay and Lesbian Medical Association Meeting, San Francisco, CA, September 2012.
- Backman, E., Triant, V., Ehrenfeld, JM, Lu, Z., Arpino, P., Losina,E., Gandhi, R. "Safety of Midazolam for Sedation of HIV+ Patients Undergoing Colonoscopy” HIV Medicine. 2012.
- Eckstrand KL, Lomis K, Rawn L. "An LGBTI-Inclusive Sexual History Taking Standardized Patient Case. MedEdPORTAL; 2012." Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9218
- Eckstrand KL, Rawn L, Sullivan WM, Lomis KD. “LGBT-inclusive sexual history taking predicts overall sexual history taking performance”, AAMC Southern Group on Educational Affairs Regional Meeting. Lexington, KY. April 2012.
- Sullivan WM, Eckstrand KL, Peebles K, Fleming AE, Rush C, Lomis KD. “A targeted intervention in LGBT healthcare improves third-year medical students’ attitudes and behaviors towards LGBT patients”, AAMC Southern Group on Educational Affairs Regional Meeting. Lexington, KY. April 2012.
- Eckstrand KL, Goldsmith E, Blechinger D, Jones L. “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Health Disparities and Medical Education: Fostering Student-Led Curriculum Change”, AAMC National Conference. Denver, CO. November 2011.
- Eckstrand KL, Yang S, Peebles K, Evans B, Sullivan WM, Russell R, Ehrenfeld JM, Lomis KD. “Identifying opportunities for integrating LGBT health into undergraduate medical education”, Gay and Lesbian Medical Association Annual Conference. Atlanta, GA. September 2011.
- Ehrenfeld, JM. Presentation: “Providing Culturally Competent Care to LGBTI Patients”, John E. Fyer Lecture Series, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. March 2011.
- Ehrenfeld, JM. Presentation: “Better Healthcare for the LGBTI Communities”, Gay Doctors Ireland Annual Meeting, Dublin, Ireland. May 2010.