The Vanderbilt Medical Alumni Association (VMAA) serves over 20,000 members including VUSM graduates (all degrees), current VUSM students, former and current house officers and clinical fellows, and current and former faculty. The VMAA serves as a communication hub connecting our membership with Vanderbilt and with each other; a resource for life-long learning through our no charge journal databases; and a means for alumni, current students and house officers to build relationships and share experiences as well as resources with Vanderbilt. In review, the VMAA's most notable highlights follow:
- In October 2016, 1,155 medical alumni and guests attended one or more VUSM Reunion activities. During the weekend, Dr. Kathleen Neuzil (HS ’91, FE ’94, MPH ’98 and Dr. Levi Watkins (MD ’70, posthumous award) were added to the ranks of VUSM’s Distinguished Alumni award winners. The Reunion featured 21 class parties and four specialty society gatherings.
- Throughout 2016/2017 VMAA sponsored events included the annual White Coat Sponsors reception, linking our current students with Nashville area White Coat Program donors; the VMAA “You’re 1/2 Way There” celebration for rising VMS III’s; the AOA Induction Celebration; and the Almost Alumni Luncheon attending by over 180 VMS IV’s and faculty.
- VMAA engaged medical alumni in regional events held in New York City, Dallas, and Seattle. Additionally, VMAA sponsored conference events reaching out to eight house staff and faculty specialty society conferences held in Nashville, San Diego, Los Angeles, Florida, Chicago, and Washington, D.C.
- In academic year 2016-17, the VMAA expanded its Host Program to include over 400 medical alumni offering to host VMS IV’s for a one to two night stay during residency interviews in their area. The VMAA Mentoring Program connected over 30 new graduates with medical alumni in new residency cities, and over 1,000 medical alumni now participate in our newly reconfigured VMAA Eskind Alumni Digital Library/ProQuest Database users group.
- The VMAA continued to reach out to incoming house staff with support for the Welcome Picnic, for the purchase of When Breath Becomes Air, and for multiple wellness initiatives including a “Dental Day” and Fitness Facility availability. Other highlights in this area included our annual August Night Out with the Sounds, attended by over 200 house officers and family members, and support for our newly formed PGY Mom’s Group. Representatives for two new specialty societies were added to the VMAA Board this academic year —The Endocrine Society and The Radiology Society.
- Beyond our outreach activities, the VMAA served as a behind the scenes support group for both the VUSM and VUMC Development and Alumni Relations Departments providing assistance to multiple departments across both VUSM and VUMC for data requests and mass communication efforts. These activities included Doximity voting communiques, student leadership survey assistance, Shade Tree Trot promotions, re-coding specialties in the entire VUSM database, and unique reports for a diverse group of departments that included among others: General Surgery, Radiology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network, and the Medical Scientist Training Program.
For more information about the Medical Alumni Association, please visit medschool.vanderbilt.edu/alumni.