Stephan Heckers, M.D.Chair of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
William P. and Henry B. Test Chair in Schizophrenia Research
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
M.Sc., Harvard University
M.D., Universität Cologne (Medicine)
Dr. Stephan Heckers joined the Vanderbilt faculty as Chair of Psychiatry in 2006. He studies the neural basis of psychiatric disorders and is particularly interested in the disease mechanisms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. He is a member of several editorial boards and the Scientific Council of the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation (formerly NARSAD). In 2015 he became Editor of JAMA Psychiatry.
Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
Psychosis, Neuroimaging, Neuroanatomy
- Heckers S. The Value of Psychiatric Diagnoses. JAMA Psychiatry 2015 Dec;72(12):1165-6. PMID: 26560736.
- Woodward ND, Heckers S. Brain Structure in Neuropsychologically Defined Subgroups of Schizophrenia and Psychotic Bipolar Disorder. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2015 Nov;41(6):1349-59. PMCID: PMC4601708.
- Heckers S, Konradi C. GABAergic mechanisms of hippocampal hyperactivity in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 2015 Sep;167(1-3):4-11. PMCID: PMC4402105.
- Wilson JE, Niu K, Nicolson SE, Levine SZ, Heckers S. The diagnostic criteria and structure of catatonia. Schizophrenia Research 2015 May;164(1-3):256-62. PMID: 25595653.
- McHugo M, Rogers BP, Talati P, Woodward ND, Heckers S. Increased Amplitude of Low Frequency Fluctuations but Normal Hippocampal-Default Mode Network Connectivity in Schizophrenia. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2015; 6:92. PMCID: PMC4478381.