Stephan Heckers, M.D.Chair of the Department of Psychiatry
William P. and Henry B. Test Chair in Schizophrenia Research
Professor of Psychiatry
Professor of Psychology
Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
M.Sc., Harvard University
M.D., Universität Cologne (Medicine)
Dr. Stephan Heckers joined the Vanderbilt faculty as Chair of Psychiatry in 2006. He studies the neural basis of psychiatric disorders and is particularly interested in the disease mechanisms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. He is a member of several editorial boards, including JAMA Psychiatry, Schizophrenia Bulletin and Schizophrenia Research, and a member of the Scientific Council of the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation (formerly NARSAD).
Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
Psychosis, Neuroimaging, Neuroanatomy
- Heckers S. What is the core of schizophrenia?. JAMA Psychiatry 2013 Oct;70(10):1009-10.
- Heckers S. Bleuler and the neurobiology of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2011 Nov;37(6):1131-5.
- Williams LE, Must A, Avery S, Woolard A, Woodward ND, Cohen NJ, Heckers S. Eye-movement behavior reveals relational memory impairment in schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry 2010 Oct;68(7):617-24.
- Ongür D, Cullen TJ, Wolf DH, Rohan M, Barreira P, Zalesak M, Heckers S. The neural basis of relational memory deficits in schizophrenia. Archives of General Psychiatry 2006 Apr;63(4):356-65.
- Heckers S, Rauch SL, Goff D, Savage CR, Schacter DL, Fischman AJ, Alpert NM. Impaired recruitment of the hippocampus during conscious recollection in schizophrenia. Nature Neuroscience 1998 Aug;1(4):318-23.