This is a one-year ACGME accredited program with two fellowship positions available each year open to board-eligible psychiatrists. The PM Fellowship is based at Vanderbilt University Medical Center and provides extraordinary and rigorous training in the fields of Psychosomatic Medicine and Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry.
During the 12 months of training, the fellows’ clinical work is grounded in their experience on the VUMC Adult Psychiatry Consultation (APC) service. VUMC has over 800 beds many of which provide tertiary and quaternary care for a referral base encompassing a large area of the Southeastern United States.
On the consult service, the fellow will see an unparalleled variety of patients. The high level of acuity seen at VUMC allows us to train our fellows to recognize and treat rare neuropsychiatric conditions.
Other clinic experiences include a weekly clinic for fellows in their choice of a variety of outpatient clinic experiences, including liaison work with OB/Gyn, Neurology, Infectious Disease, or Endocrinology. Further training in Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), hypnosis and pain management is also available, including preparation for ECT certification.
Teaching is an important part of training, as PM fellows will be given educational responsibilities as well. There are a wide variety of trainees on the APC, including Vanderbilt University School of Medicine MS-III’s, sub-interns (MS-IV’s) from all over the country, VUMC Neurology interns (PGY-1’s), and psychiatry residents (PGY-2’s). PM fellows have separate teaching supervision.
The didactic series are designed to cover all pertinent topics in consultation psychiatry but with an added focus in neuropsychiatric manifestations of disease.
- Psychosomatics Conference
- Psychosomatic Medicine Literature Review Seminar
- Combined Child-Adult Consultation Seminar
- Fellows Walk Rounds
- ECT Seminars
- Addictions Seminars
- Special Topics in Psychosomatic Medicine
- Psychiatry Grand Rounds
- Access to multiple other neuroscience conferences
- Adult Inpatient Consults
- Palliative Care Interdisciplinary Meeting
- General Consultation Outpatient Clinic
- Subspecialty Consultation Psychiatry Clinic
- Subspecialty Liaison Rounds
- Inpatient & Outpatient Electroconvulsive Therapy
- Emergency Psychiatry
- International Psychiatry
- Inpatient Toxicology
- Outpatient Transplant
- Outpatient Epilepsy Clinic
- Outpatient HIV Clinic
- Outpatient High Risk OB Clinic
- Outpatient Integrative Health
- Inpatient Complex Care Team
- Outpatient Homeless Outreach
Current Research Projects
- Delirium-Catatonia Study (D-Cat)
- Post-Suicide Intervention Project
- QTc in Antipsychotic Prescribing Educational Intervention
- Self-Inflicted Gunshot Chart Review
For additional questions regarding the application process for the fellowship, please contact
Lauren Alexander, Department Education Specialist.
Sheryl B. Fleisch, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Training Director, Psychosomatic Medicine Fellowship
Associate Training Director, Adult Psychiatry Residency
Medical Director, Homeless Health Services at VUMC
Director, Vanderbilt Street Psychiatry Program