Research Interns - Paid Positions

These are paid positions of a short duration, where individuals join a lab to gain educational experience. Such individuals will not normally have completed their overall educational training. This position is not eligible for employee benefits through HR, however the PI/department may wish to purchase health insurance for the intern through the BRET office. The Office of International Student and Scholar Services also has health insurance information on their website.

The BRET office is not authorized to approve patient contact or patient record review.

Research Interns are divided into several categories based on:

    • Qualification of Intern -
    • Pre-baccalaureate - These individuals have not received a bachelor’s degree at the time of starting the internship and are usually undergraduate or even high school students. In case the intern is under the age of eighteen, please follow these instructions but also complete the additional steps listed in the section for minors at the end of this document.
    • Post-baccalaureate - These individuals hold a bachelor’s or higher degree at the start of the internship experience. This category also includes early arriving IGP and CPB students who will be working in a research laboratory over the summer prior to matriculation into the graduate program in August.
    • Method of Compensation -
    • Salary - Funding source is generally a research grant.
    • Stipend - Funding source is generally a training grant or institutional funds. There are two requirements for appointment to a stipended position:
      • The intern must belong to a program. Interns over the summer can be part of the Summer Science Academy, either within a defined track or as an independent participant. Please contact Dr. Michelle Grundy for further information.
      • The interns must be informed that their stipend is taxable and that they are responsible for reporting appropriately to the IRS. We strongly recommend that departments provide this information to interns in writing and keep a signed copy of the document for their records.


Faculty should consult the Business Officer of their department to determine which of the above category would work best with their funding source(s).