Special Studies are course that are uniquely designed by the student in collaboration with Vanderbilt faculty, to allow for creation of a course that is not in our current catalog. Courses must be 4-week long experiences to receive credit. Special Study courses will fulfill a “competency/interest-driven” requirement and are graded as pass/fail.
To create a special study course, please follow these steps.
- Identify a Vanderbilt-affiliated faculty member who is willing to supervise the special study course and complete a grade.
- Create learning objectives for what you hope to learn in the course (refine with the course director).
- Work with the faculty to identify assessment strategies to measure your achievement of each of the learning objectives.
- Complete the online form. Note that there are different Special Study forms: the clinical and non-clinical special study forms. If you want to complete a special study in research, please be sure that you are in discussion with the Office of Medical Student Research.
- Send the form to the course director. He/she needs to complete the assessment tools sections on the form.
- The faculty member must send the completed form to Enrollment Services at email@example.com. Enrollment Services will process and include the Immersion Phase for formal review and approval.