The Vanderbilt Minority Summer Research Program offers undergraduates, who are members of federally recognized groups as underrepresented in the sciences, a summer research internship in the laboratory of an outstanding scientist at Vanderbilt University.
The Vanderbilt Minority Summer Research Program provides an opportunity for undergraduates to experience first-hand the research that is advancing our understanding of both normal biology and human disease, and the opportunity to develop new therapies and cures to the illnesses that face our society. Students are mentored through an independent research project that will conclude with a formal presentation at the end of the summer. The laboratory research project is complemented by activities organized by the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy. These include:
- Research seminars
- GRE preparation
- Enrichment sessions
- Social activities
Research internships are carried out over nine weeks in the summer.
Students can select research projects in the following areas:
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Disease
- Biological Sciences
- Cancer Biology
- Cell & Developmental Biology
- Cellular & Molecular Pathology
- Chemical & Physical Biology
- Human Genetics
- Microbiology & Immunology
- Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
- The Vanderbilt Minority Summer Research Program will provide a salary of $10/hour for the nine-week period.
- Housing is provided in a university dormitory.
- Minority scholars who are members of federally-recognized groups underrepresented in the sciences; Native American, African-American, Hispanic/Latino/Chicano-American and American of Pacific Island origin.
- US citizens or permanent residents.
We are particularly interested in applicants who are in their junior year of undergraduate studies who are interested in a research career.
All materials must be received by February 1. Within two weeks after the application deadline invitations to participate in the Minority Summer Research Program are sent to the selected qualified applicants. Students have to reply their decision to participate, as well as provide the names of the mentors they would like to be assigned.
In the event an applicant declines the invitation to participate in the program the offer is made to the next most highly qualified applicant.
- Complete the online application.
- Upload unofficial transcript online
- Have two letters of recommendation submitted online.
Online application deadline is February 1, 2015, click here to start the application through the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy