VICC:DCRP – Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center: Discover Cancer Research Program
The Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center (VICC) is a national and world leader in the research, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer. The VICC conducts pioneering basic, translational, and clinical research in the laboratories of nearly 300 researchers and physician-scientists. The VICC:DCRP program offers undergraduate students (from current freshman to rising seniors) the opportunity to engage in cancer research in the laboratory of a VICC investigator for 8 weeks during the summer. Students will receive close mentoring to carrying out a research project that will conclude with a poster presentation at the end of the summer. Participants are encouraged to continue research in the same laboratory during the academic year (if attending a local university) and/or return for a second summer.
The opportunity to experience cancer research first-hand will be combined with additional activities organized in the summer by the VICC:DCRP and the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy (VSSA). These include:
- Introduction to Cancer course in week one
- Research seminars
- GRE preparation
- Poster presentation at the VSSA Research Symposium
- Social activities
The Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center: Discover Cancer Research Program provides a summer stipend of $3900 for the 8 week program and an additional stipend of $1000/semester for those students who participate during the academic year.
Housing is available in a university dormitory but the cost of housing is not covered by the program.
- Minority scholars who are members of federally-recognized groups underrepresented in the sciences; Native American, African-American, Hispanic/Latino/Chicano-American and American of Pacific Island origin.
- Scholars from economically disadvantaged backgrounds as defined by the federal government
- Must be US citizens or permanent residents
All materials must be received by February 1. Within three weeks after the application deadline invitations to participate in The Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center: Discover Cancer Research Program are sent to the selected qualified applicants. Students have to reply their decision to participate and will be sent a list of possible mentors/research laboratories from which to select their top three choices. In the event an applicant declines the invitation to participate in the program the offer is made to the next most highly qualified applicant.
- Complete the online application.
- Upload unofficial transcript online.
- Have two letters of recommendation submitted online.
Online application deadline is February 1, 2019. Start the application through the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy.