Flagship’s Fellows Program
A 12-week paid summer program where exceptional innovator-entrepreneurs help create the next disruptive life science startups.
We recruit outstanding scientists, engineers, inventors and budding entrepreneurs to work hand-in-hand with our seasoned professionals through our uniquely entrepreneurial scientific exploration process, with the potential to ultimately produce pioneering new ventures. This program is exclusively for Ph.D., M.D., M.S., and science-minded M.B.A. students who are within one year of graduating or have just done so.
If you’re considering an alternative path from academia that allows you to remain engaged in creative science, Flagship’s Fellows Program offers a balance of freedom of thought, imagination, science rooted in reality and rigorous business practice.
The Flagship Fellows Program is unlike a traditional internship or academic fellowship. It provides a rare opportunity to do something different with your graduate training and to apply your scientific expertise, entrepreneurial talents, and self-starter mentality toward creating new ventures. Science is at the core of Flagship’s fellowship program—a new way of thinking about cutting-edge science that goes beyond splashy headlines to actually impact the health of people and our planet. Each day, Fellows work closely with Flagship’s team of entrepreneurial scientists to explore big ideas, look differently at scientific literature, and generate new vantage points for companies with world-changing potential.
What you’ll do
Fellows work hand-in-hand with our seasoned professionals through the “Exploration” phase of Flagship’s process—the point at which we explore ideas with world-changing potential and create a foundational understanding of existing science—and opportunity for original experimentation.
When you work with us you will experience our unique four-phased methodology for creating first-in-class, first-in-category life science companies. Key benefits include:
- Tap into our unique position in the innovation ecosystem
- Network with our team of experts
- Explore the cutting edge of science and technology
- Experience the startup world and our unique company creation process
- Learn how to build a thought into a new venture
- Find practical applications for your skills and expertise
- Learn from your peers and some of the brightest minds in the business
- Work in the heart of the vibrant Cambridge, Massachusetts/Kendall Square community
The application deadline has closed for summer 2019. Check back in the fall 2019 for details about summer 2020.
- This is a twelve-week program between June and August
- Fellows will receive a stipend
- Program takes place at the Flagship Pioneering offices near Kendall Square: 55 Cambridge Parkway, Suite 800 E, Cambridge, MA 02142
- Learn Flagship’s process for generating and refining actionable venture hypotheses
- Develop your creativity, adaptability, and ability to innovate
- Work directly with Flagship’s highly-experienced team members—a group of widely recognized scientists, entrepreneurs and executives
- Hear from experts and leaders from Flagship’s extended network, such as CEOs of leading companies
- Build relationships and expand your network with a diverse and highly successful group of peers
- Gain exposure to leaders in science and business providing a highly potent platform for personal growth
- Deep scientific or business background aimed at life sciences
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial behaviors
- Academic excellence and self-starter mentality: confident, passionate, persuasive
- Creativity and the ability to solve complex scientific and business problems
- Previous Peace Corps, military, or public service experience considered
- Currently a graduate or post-graduate student (MBA, MS, PhD, MD, etc.) with a scientific background from a top university
- Preferably no more than 1-2 years away from full-time employment