Information for Current MD Students
Applying for Financial Aid
- If you are receiving a merit scholarship, the scholarship will automatically be renewed by the Office of Financial Aid as long as you are allowed to continue in the program.
- If you are receiving a need-based scholarship, the scholarship will automatically be renewed by the Office of Financial Aid as long as you are allowed to continue in the program. No additional forms are required after the first year.
- Federal Unsubsidized Loans
- If you will need a Federal Unsubsidized Loan for the 23-24 award year, be sure and complete the 23-24 Free Application for Federal Student Aid. This form became available October 1, 2022. Be sure and list Vanderbilt (code 003535) as a school to receive your data.
- If you had a loan last year, no other paperwork has to be completed. If you are a new borrower, visit studentaid.gov and be sure and complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note.
- Federal Graduate PLUS Loans
- Go to studentaid.gov and complete the “Apply for a PLUS Loan” section. This process runs a credit check and makes sure you are eligible for the loan for this academic year.
- If you had a loan last year, you only need to do the one step for Grad PLUS. If you did not have a Grad PLUS loan, be sure and complete the Master Promissory Note for this loan as well.
Financial Aid comprehensive awards, which include all possible types of aid, will be awarded in May. You will receive an email letting you know your financial aid can be seen on the YES portal. If you want to decrease the amount of loans offered to you, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.