Applying to MSCI
Candidates should submit an application that includes biographical information, references, career goals, and a specific proposal for a clinical and translational research project. The research proposal must identify the candidate’s mentor. Applications will be judged on the quality of the science proposed, on the commitment of the mentor of the career development of the candidate, and on the overall impact of the training program on the applicant’s career development. The application deadline is February 28.
Eligible candidates for the MSCI Program include:
- Board-eligible physicians enrolled in a fellowship program at Vanderbilt or Meharry Medical College,
- Vanderbilt or Meharry residents with protected time for research,
- Medical students with protected time for research after the third year,
- Vanderbilt faculty members with the consent of their Department Chair,
- Post-Doctoral PhDs anticipating a career in clinical and translational research,
- PhD candidates in the Nursing School anticipating a career in clinical and translational research, and
- Scholars external to Vanderbilt/Meharry will be considered based on the availability of a suitable mentor within Vanderbilt and secured funding.
Candidates must be in good standing with their home department at all stages during admission and remain in good standing with the home department and the MSCI program throughout matriculation.
Required Application Materials
1. Electronic Application (click to go directly to the online application)
Area of Study: Medicine-Non MD
Program: Clinical Investigation
2. Letter from mentor documenting commitment to the candidate’s career development. Please include a copy of the mentor’s curriculum vitae.
3. Three letters of recommendation (may include mentor).
4. Letter from Division Director or Department Chair assuring 80% protected time for research.
5. Research Plan: The three to five page proposal should describe Specific Aims, Background and Significance, Experimental Methods, Procedures, and Long-Term Objectives. Plans exceeding the five-page limit will be returned. Be sure to provide a title for your project.
6. Curriculum Vitae of the applicant.
7. Statement of how this proposed research plan fits into your career objectives.
You may upload your Research Plan, Curriculum Vitae, and Career Statement in the application section labeled Statement of Purpose.
8. Letter stating confirmation of tuition payment throughout matriculation from responsible person or department on official letterhead.
9. Undergraduate and medical school transcripts.
Please send e-Scripts or electronic transcripts to: MSCI@vanderbilt.edu
Mail transcripts to:
Arnita L. King, MEd
Master of Science in Clinical Investigation (MSCI)
2209 Garland Ave
Nashville, TN 37240
Proposals will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Proposals must outline clinical and translational research that is hypothesis-driven and mechanistic.
- Performance of the project must be feasible within a two-year period.
- Project mentors must have extramural research grant funding that is assured for the duration of the project.
- Sponsoring departments will be expected to guarantee that 80% of the candidate’s professional time will be devoted to the goals and objectives of the MSCI program.
The MSCI Program is a full-time, two-year (5 academic terms) program. Tuition is funded through NIH training grant mechanisms, corporate/foundation grants, or institutional resources. In addition, partial scholarships are available for qualified applicants. Tuition not covered by a sponsor, department, and/or grant is the financial responsibility of the enrolled student. Learn more about resources for funding MSCI.
Tuition and student fee amounts for the upcoming academic year are determined every April by the Vanderbilt Board of Trust.
Tuition rates for the 2018-2019 academic year:
- Year 1: $37,312
- Year 2: $18,656
- Special, Non-Degree Seeking: $1,551 per credit hour
Additional information about tuition in the School of Medicine is available at the Office of Student Financial Services.