Skip to main content

Immunization Requirements FAQs

Below are some common questions we receive about immunization requirements for visiting students. Please note that the uploading of an immunization form is a required part of your application on VSAS. However, a missing titer or immunization will never disqualify your application from being considered. If you are accepted for a rotation at Vanderbilt and we find something that you’re lacking, we will reach out to you at that time.

Yes, a titer will suffice for varicella, measles, mumps, rubella, and hepatitis B. If you cannot find records of polio or tdap, titers are not needed. Please supply what records you do have and we’ll make recommendations regarding what additional shots may be needed for polio or tdap.

You must provide titers after the age of 16.

This answer is complicated, and it depends on what titer has been drawn (varicella, MMR, or hepatitis B). If you receive a booster and then a titer shows you are immune, then that will suffice for the purposes of your experience at Vanderbilt. We will take the information on your immunization form and review it and make sure you know what steps you must take to be compliant. Again, your application will not be denied if you are not immunization-compliant. We will give you the opportunity to get what you need.

Yes, if you provide vaccine and titer information on the AAMC form, please also provide titer lab reports.

Your application will not be denied based on your immunization record. If you are offered a rotation spot, we will notify you of what you still need.

Yes, according to the AAMC immunization form, a Hep B titer is required.

We only require a record of your varicella vaccination. If you did not have the varicella vaccine but instead had the chicken pox disease, you will need a titer.