Visiting Medical Student Rotation Information
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine accepts visiting students from other accredited medical schools. This year, electives are available from August 2021 – December 2021. Applications are made through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSLO).
The online application opens April 15th 2021. Applications are processed and offers extended no more than 12 weeks prior to each elective. Due to the mandatory orientation and related trainings on the first day, we are unable to be flexible with rotation dates.
In order to rotate at Vanderbilt, your school must have an affiliation agreement with
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. We recommend that institutions sign on to the
AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Agreement, as we have.
Affiliation Agreement Requirement in VSLO:
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we have made the decision to pursue new affiliation agreements only if a student has been accepted for a rotation at Vanderbilt.
The requirement in VSLO should be fulfilled by the home institution uploading either 1) A Letter of Implementation if signed onto the AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Agreement, or 2) a copy of the home institution’s affiliation agreement. Vanderbilt will sign and implement the agreement if the student is accepted.
Send an email to email@example.com with any questions.
In order to be a visiting student at Vanderbilt, you must:
- be in your 4th year of medical school
- attend a University that has an affiliation agreement with Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- have either BLS or ACLS training that has not expired
- If accepted at Vanderbilt, agree that this elective will be the only extramural elective taken for the year. According to the latest guidelines, only one (1) elective per student per specialty is permitted for the year.
Some electives, like Orthopaedics, require a letter of recommendation. If required, upload the LOR under your Supplementation Documents on your VSLO profile.
Completing an Application
An application is considered complete when it contains uploads of a student’s:
- Full name, including middle initial
- Date of Birth
- USMLE Step 1 Score Report
- Copy of AAMC Implementation Letter or copy of Home Institution’s Affiliation Agreement
Incomplete applications will be deemed ineligible and will not be reconsidered. For
complete applications, the individual department reviews the VSLO applications specific
to that specialty. Students may not take more than one (1) electives. Please note that our
Student Health department reviews the immunization records of each invited student. Applications will not be rejected based on missing health requirements. You will be given time to complete the requirements prior to the start date.
If you have been invited to rotate
If you receive an invitation to rotate, you will need to complete these 4 items:
- Accept the invitation in VSLO within one (1) week
- Pay the $160.00 processing fee for visiting students via our online platform, Iris. You must create an account to pay the fee.
- Upload a recent criminal background check (within last 12 months) to your VSLO
profile. Although the CBC needs to be a national check, we neither recommend nor
require any one particular company.
- Upload a completed AAMC Immunization Form and Vanderbilt Required Additional Immunization Addendum.
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine does not provide housing for visiting medical
The following links may be helpful:
Students may NOT contact individual course directors. In addition, due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we cannot take phone calls related to VSLO applications.