MS in Applied Clinical Informatics (MS-ACI)
Clinical Informatics Training for Working Health Professionals
Perfect for a diverse range of healthcare providers, our Master of Science in Applied Clinical Informatics (MS-ACI) offers rigorous and engaging training that will equip you to apply informatics principles to the challenges facing your workplace.
In the MS-ACI program, you will:
- Complete 36 credits of clinical informatics coursework in 21 months
- Gain 240 hours of practical experience working on interdisciplinary health IT teams
- Implement a capstone project to address an informatics challenge in your current workplace
- Network with world-renowned faculty from the largest biomedical informatics department in the world
- Continue working full-time as you earn your degree
So, whether you’re a practicing physician looking to improve the IT experience in your organization or a public health official passionate about health systems data, the MS-ACI program could be just right for you!
Learn from a distance; grow right at home
Our program is designed in a primarily digital format to accommodate distance learning for working health professionals across the country. Through MS-ACI, you’ll complete 36 credits of coursework in a blended format that includes:
- Two days of face-to-face sessions on Vanderbilt’s campus at the beginning of each year
- Virtual synchronous course meetings each Thursday, 5-8 p.m. CT
- Asynchronous components, such as lectures, lab projects, and discussion posts with your cohort
What’s more, through 240 hours of practical experience and a mentored capstone project, you’ll put the concepts you learn in class into practice right where you work each day.
A is for “Applied”
In our program, you’ll apply the theoretical concepts of clinical informatics from day one. Whether you’re a primary care provider, a veterinarian, or a pharmacist, MS-ACI courses will provide you with a highly practical understanding of the role of information technology in the care process.
At the end of the 21 months, you will be equipped to:
- Address the specific informatics challenges facing your workplace
- Analyze large data sets, including genomic, EHR, and consumer-driven data
- Contribute to an information systems division or as Chief Information Officer in a clinical setting
- Pursue an AMIA Health Informatics Certification
- Join the next generation of clinical informatics leaders
Collaborate with National Experts in Health IT
Our medical center is home to the largest department of biomedical informatics in the world. Your instructors will be national leaders in clinical informatics, often with joint appointments in health IT at VUMC. Just like you, they come from a range of health backgrounds, from anesthesiology to pharmacy, and they’re actively engaged in boots-on-the-ground work in informatics in healthcare settings.
Regardless of your current work environment, you’ll benefit from the resources and academic expertise of our highly ranked medical center and professional programs. During your capstone and practicum, you’ll have the chance to collaborate closely with VUMC Health IT and be mentored by experts in your interest area.
To provide innovative clinical informatics education for working professionals in the health care field, with graduates assuming leadership roles in the application and innovation of clinical informatics nationally, applying their skills and knowledge to make a tangible difference for individuals and systems in health and biomedicine.